Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Northeast ASA Championship


  This past weekend was the final shoot of the ASA series in New England. I'll preface this by saying I appreciate all of the efforts of everyone involved in putting this series together and giving archers of the region a different game to play, after all anything to do with archery is a game when it comes right down to it. So thank you to everyone who puts in the long hours, including the volunteers of the organization, the volunteers at the clubs, the director of operations, and most importantly the ASA itself. 

  This series has given the shooters in New England a feel for what they see on Competition Media Archery when they watch the shootdown rounds. I know we've probably all seen at least a few of them. How anyone could not view someone from our region taking down the titans of professional archery in this format of shooting is beyond me, and I would imagine most of you have viewed Jacob showing why he is one of the best in the sport of archery... all archery including 3D and target. 

   It was a long drive home from Ohio last weekend, and I had to do some soul searching. When looking in the mirror, it can sometimes be difficult to see the person staring back at you. It takes some navigating to figure out if that person is who you think he is or if it's just an apparition that is passing by in the moment. 

  After pulling into the driveway and putting that behind me, I got a good night's sleep and thought about the last few events of the year. At this point, I've had about enough, but I will continue on the path until I shoot my last arrow at the IBO World Championship in a few weeks. At that point, I'll be glad to put the bow in the closet and not touch it for a solid month, at which time I will get my hunting stuff out and put something together that will help me send and arrow through a deer's rib cage. 

 I got a new bow on Monday evening and spent Tuesday putting strings on it and roughing it in. The heat was unbearable, and it made it difficult to do many of the things with it that I would've liked to have done. However, I felt comfortable with it when we headed to Masschusetts for this event. I wanted to try it and see how it worked. I had to do a lot of things to get the speed out of it that is required for me to be competitive in my class. One of the things I had to do was set it up with an underspined arrow, but I've had good look with arrows that fall on the border of the chart over the years. The bow did not seem overly forgiving to me, but I wanted to shoot it at an event, especially one that had terrain because terrain will expose the flaws in a hurry. Yes, the bow might look like the one I was shooting last month. It's the same riser, but instead of having M2 cams on it, it now has SE2 cams on it. I loved the M2 cam, but it was beating up by surgically repaired shoulder, and I couldn't shoot any volume of arrows without paying the price for it. That's why I made the change.

                                                       Game Time

  We got an early start and arrived at the shoot around 8:00 a.m. It was a gorgeous day, and I looked forward to seeing how the bow would react. I shot 12 arrows at the 30-yard butt before we went onto the course. The bow seemed to hold well, and every arrow but two found its way into the X. 

  After walking across a short field in the bright sunlight to get to Target 16, where we would start our day, the adjustment for my eyes was difficult when I stepped under the heavy canopy of the forest. It made it extremely difficult to see any type of definition on the target. 

  Looking down the hill at a hill country deer, it was a little irritating to see the target leaned forward, almost hiding the 8-ring on the low side. It also made the top of the 8 line appear to be where the center of the 10 is usually found while aiming from afar. 

  Shooting all uppers, I knew that would create a problem and aiming in the area you had to aim just to shoot a 10 seemed extremely low. I'm not sure if my subconscious mind didn't adjust to how the target was set, but I believe I was holding a pinch below the 8 line. When the shot fired, I felt good about it. However, the arrow landed above the 8-line for a 5, and my number was only two yards different than Jacob's and he made a good shot and had a good result. This is a prime example of paying more attention to what you're doing before you do it. You can't rely on targets being set upright, especially the ones that have plastic legs. Plastic legs down't allow for a target to stay in the correct position for too terribly long when people start yarning on the them to pull arrows. 

  I made a good shot on the next one, barely missing the 12 to the right... things were feeling good, but the pin was a little too busy for my subconscious mind. Then, we came upon a long boar (the small brown one), and I could see a shadow in the 12 ring. Although it was a bomb, I held on the spot and executed my shot. The arrow hit right over the 12-ring.

  As we made our way through the first half, I began realizing the bow wasn't quite right. The draw length was a pinch too short, and it was causing a jittery sight picture with some occasional quick jolts. It was causing me to miss some stuff high and other things to the right. As we neared the end of the first half, the bow just didn't feel well in my hands. I ended up shoot a handful of 8s in a row while trying to manage the sight picture and the extremely slow shot execution. It came to a head when I shot a 5 on a wolf that was set in a dark area. I couldn't see where I needed to aim, so I just tried shooting a good shot and the arrow hit the target at the base of the next, top of the shoulder. I guess the bonus is that it was a good shot, even if it landed in la-la land. 

                                                              Second Half

  After shooting the last target on the first half, I stopped at the target change and lengthened the throw (vinyl connector) on my release. This allowed my from arm to extend a tad farther and settled down the sight picture. 
  
  It appeared to have a positive affect, as I shot a 12 on the mule deer to start the second half. Things continued in the right direction throughout the half, but I still wasn't satisfied with how the bow was aiming. The jittery, jerky sight picture wasn't nearly as bad as it was on the first half, but it was still disconcerting to deal with while trying to be calm and confident at full draw.

  The slight change in the release, which essentially lengthened the draw length, made enough of a different to get me through the last 15 targets with only one 8. I was also able to aim at some 12s and get them while also missing a few along the way. When I finished the day, I was content to know I learned a lot that I wouldn't have learned any other way. Although the 288 on the scorecard wasn't reflective of my yardage judging or execution, it told me the things I need to do to get the most out of the bow and get it to a place where I can confidently shoot it and consistently hit where I'm aiming. 

                                                        My Final Thoughts

    I'm glad things are winding down quickly. This spring/summer I've encountered some overwhelming things in my personal life, and it has made archery much less enjoyable. Of course, when you're used to competing at a high level, a lot of enjoyment comes from shooting well. This shoot allowed me to relax and take the result without much thought about it. For having the bow for three days before shooting it, I think it did well, and I learned what I need to know for the final two big events, the IBO World Championship and the ASA Classic. Unless something drastic happens in my head, I believe I will be taking Barney 2.0 with me to those events. In the past, I shot some of my best scores ever with my red Supra Focus, and this bow feels like home in my hands. I also believe it will shoot better than the Supra Focus used to shoot. I look forward to seeing what it does. I will most likely be shooting it indoors, too. I'm still not sure if I will stick with the 37' model or go to the 40. In all the years of shooting indoors, I always shot my best with 40' bows. 

  When I settled in for the evening on Sunday night, I smiled when I saw some photos online. This photo warmed my heart. 


  This picture speaks volumes in many ways. I can see Matt Witkowski in the back, and this makes me realize that other people deal with the same silent disease with which I deal. We might seem "normal" to anyone who talks to us, but we battle a disease that is difficult to understand from an outsider's perspective. Most people think we can't eat sugary and that's about it. Unfortunately, we live with the leading cause of blindness, the leading cause of kidney failure and the leading cause of heart disease. If a Type 1 diabetic can run the gauntlet of life and not encounter one of those warriors waiting in line with a tomahawk to smash the life out of you, you are a fortunate one. Some make it to the end of the run with bruises and wounds, and others barely get past the first few warriors. Although taking care of yourself is paramount to getting through the line, you can also take care of yourself better than all others and still take a tomahawk to the back of the skull and tumble into the ground. When it's your time, it's your time... death has no favorites, so live it well. 

  I also see Aiden Pfiitze and Rob LeLacheur in this picture. There are a lot of stories about these two, and I met both of them through archery. Even though they are decades apart in age, they both of their own stories. I feel fortunate to have met both of these people. They have given me insight that I might have been lacking at times, and they've helped me become a better archer and to look at things with a different perspective. It's also a reminder to treat everyone kindly because you never know when you might need someone, whether it be for an ear, a ride, a smile or just a pat on the back and a vote of confidence. When we are all out there on the range, try to remember that someone looks up to you, no matter who you might be. 

  I enjoyed shooting these ASA shoots this year. Although I have all of my own ASA targets, it's always nice to see targets in different pieces of woods. It makes the eyes accustomed to target size and helps when judging distance or even where to aim if you're shooting known distance. 

  With the good, always comes a little constructive criticism too. I can't remember when I attended my first national ASA Pro-Am, but I believe it was around 1997. I attended my first national IBO in 1993. In many ways, it seems like these events were 5-10 years ago. Time flies. I wish I could grab it and slow it down, but that' just not possible. It's hard to believe I'm in the senior class now. I can still remember when my dad turned 50 and entered the senior class for the first time. It caused all sorts of controversy because people didn't think 50 should be the cut-off for senior class. Funny how things go as we age. 

  Having seen both of these organizations since their infancy, I just wish we could have ASA events in New England that truly represented the ASA national shoots. I think it would increase attendance, and it would make it a social affair where everyone is on the same range shooting with their peers. It could be run just like they run the practice ranges at the nationals. 

  For anyone who doesn't know, ASA ranges are set up down flat roads. You can see from one end of the course to the other end and the targets are in lanes that are right on top of each other. Targets may be as close at 5-10 yards apart, but very rarely 20 yards apart. After you shoot your arrows, the group steps forward and waits for the groups on both sides to finish. When the group on your left and right are all done, everyone walks to the target together to score and pull. Things go quickly, you shoot with your peers, the kitchen has all its activity at the same time, and people can more easily socialize. There is very little terrain at national ASAs and it's an entirely different look than IBOs. There's no wandering through the woods from station to station. Instead, you walk 10 yards to the left and shoot your next shot. It takes minimal work to set up. It's easier for older people, people with kids, and people who aren't in good physical shape. It makes hot days easier because there's very little physical activity involved. It's basically 3D target shooting. Why not have our normal IBO courses in the northeast and try to actually set up an ASA just like a national ASA instead of having IBO courses with ASA targets? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind things as they are, but at the same time, I think it would be an eye-opening experience for a lot of people, and it adds an element that you can't get anywhere else unless you attend a national. It prepares people for nationals. That's the reason why New Englanders have always been very successful at national IBOs; they get the proper practice... practice that clearly resembles the national events. 

  I was a little disappointed with a few of the target sets too. When we came upon a downhill lynx, we had to try to figure out if we had, indeed, missed the actual shooting stakes. How could anyone set a target at the angle it was set at? We were basically shooting it head-on, and that was coming from a target that was leaning so far forward, it would have been impossible to shoot an 8 on the target without missing it. That target goes back to the plastic leg thing. McKenzie definitely doesn't do anyone any favors with those legs, other than shipping costs are probably slightly lower with them. if you look at the arrow on the far left, you can see that someone could actually hit the nose of the target and take a 5. However, if the arrow went through the tip of the nose, it would be an 8. I get the fact that everyone has to shoot it, but nobody wants to travel any distance and shoot shots they can find at local clubs while using their hunting bows and looking for bragging rights on the novelty shots. Let's do better. 

  When I was eating some lunch after finishing my round, I looked on the wall of the club and saw this picture.

 I smiled, and it brought me back to my childhood. I still have this same picture in my collection of stuff. I received it when I was a kid, and I always wondered how the deer could be jumping out of the water, but the water is unbroken. Anyhow, it brought me back in time and genuinely made me happy for the few seconds I looked at it. I used to stare at it in my house for hours on end and try to figure out what the person was thinking when they put it together. 

  Another thing about the club is the fact that they have an amazing field course. I've seen a lot of field courses but not many that can compare to theirs. Sometimes we take things for granted, and I hope none of the members take that club for granted. They have a really long indoor range, their outdoor range is second to none, and the field course is amazing. They have a great kitchen, nice bathrooms and great, friendly people to welcome you. I appreciate all of those things. 

  I heard through the grapevine that Rob LeLacheur is the only one who has shot their field course since they put the targets up a short time ago. Well, I think I'm gonna take up field archery. When I was looking at his groups, I think I might be able to give him a run for his money. It'll me close, after all I'm an old guy who can't see well now, and he's a younger guy who fried a lot of his memory many years ago. Either way, here are some of his recent arrow holes from his four rounds. As you can see, he must've shot a bonus arrow. If Wags plays, he might pound both of us. 


  I spent Sunday at Catamount bowhunters to get more time behind the bow after making a few more changes. Then I spent Monday night at a local place to get more time behind it. I'm just trying to learn what I can as quickly as possible. Between the last 17 targets on Saturday, the 30 targets on Sunday and the 15 targets last night, I've only shot three 8s, and two of them were from misjudged yardage. I feel good about where the bow is at, but I still feel I have a ways to go. Thanks again to everyone involved in setting up and running the ASA events. I enjoyed all of them and appreciate all of the time, work and dedication that is required to bring shooters events to attend. 


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment