Saturday, June 19, 2021

New York IBO State Championship



 


  Although I had planned on taking this week off from shooting my bow, George called me earlier in the week and asked if I was going to go to the New York IBO State Championship. Since I had already checked out for the week, it was difficult to get motivated. I didn't practice judging much this week, and I only shot a few 3D targets. However, I did shoot a lot of arrows out of my Evoke 35, and I paid the price for doing it. I shot far too many arrows over the course of two days, and it put me on the sideline for the next two days. My shoulders and back couldn't take any more shooting. 

  Barry, Dad, George, Jacob, Wade, and I headed to Deerslayer Bowmen's Association on Saturday morning to tackle a range that is known as being one of the tougher ones in New York. The targets are never in the same place, and every time I have shot there over the last 20 years, the target sets always have a new and challenging look. There's nothing easy about shooting at this location, and that's what draws me back to it every year. It's one of the most enjoyable places to go if you're looking for a range that resembles a national course. 

  Upon arrival and signing up, we headed to the target butt. I shot a few arrows at 40 yards and a few at 30. Most of them hit behind the pin. After shooting two ends, I separated my arrows and we headed onto the range. Tom Hains, who hasn't shot much archery over the last few years, was in the group with me, Jacob and Wade. 

  After a long walk to get to the first target, we had to wait for the group in front of us. When one of them misfired while letting down, it reminded me of the many times I've had some unfortunate luck but realized I had to bear down and put it behind me. After they cleared out, Tom led the target off with a nice shot. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the arrow in the 10 ring, and shadows seemed to be moving around every few seconds. 

  When I drew on the fallow deer, I felt confident with my number. The pin floated around loosely for a little bit before slowly steadying into the area of the 10-ring. Then, the shot broke, and the arrow was on its way. I was fairly certain I centered it. When I stepped away from the stake and looked at it, I couldn't believe it was hovering on the bottom of the 8 line below the 10-ring. Jacob and Wade followed me with solid 10s. After checking with Jacob, I learned I had a good number. I couldn't figure out how the arrow got where it went, but I put it behind me and moved to the next target, a slightly uphill coyote. 

  Leading it off, I felt good about my number. Once again, the pin wouldn't settle down. When the shot fired, I knew it wasn't going to be good. The arrow landed an inch out of the 10-ring at 9 o'clock. When I left that target and saw a leopard at the next stake, I felt confident. The number stuck out to me, or so I thought. When my shot fired, the nock appeared in the middle of the 11-ring. Feeling good about my shot, I strolled to the target. When I arrived, I saw that my nock was in the middle of the 11-ring, but the arrow was lodged squarely in the core, which tilted it downward. Baffled, I couldn't understand how the arrow landed in that spot. I executed a really good shot, and the pin was in the middle when the release fired. 

  Arriving at the next stake, I saw a bedded Dahl on the side of the hill. Having that target, I felt confident with my number. I made a halfway decent shot, and the arrow landed directly under the 10-ring for an 8. I can't remember the last time I shot four targets in a row without being in the 10-ring one time. Determined to break the streak, I begrudgingly marched to the next target. When I saw a long uphill boar, I knew it was going to be a tough shot. Tom led it off and hit low left of the 10-ring. Having a great reference point, I felt confident that I would break my streak. When my shot fired, the arrow clanked off from Tom's arrow. After all of us had shot, we had a cluster of arrows the size of a quarter. I'm not sure why we all hit left in the same place, but we took our 8s and kept marching. 

  Finally, on target number 6, I broke the streak and got a 10 on a bedded elk. As Eric Griggs always used to say, "It only takes one to start a streak." Well, I sure hoped that was the one that would turn my round in a different direction. Five targets into my day, and I was already down 13 points. Although that mere circumstance could've crumbled a lesser man, I decided I would do my best to pick away at the deficit. My aim was not too terribly steady and my execution seemed to match my aim. 

  When we finally got off the first half, I minimized the original damage and ended at 13 down. It certainly wasn't a stellar score, but for the way the day had started, I considered it a small victory. I didn't let the roof cave in when the heavy wind and rain pummeled it in the beginning of the storm. 

  When I led off the first target of the second half, I felt good about it. I survived by getting a 10 on a wolverine that I'm sure probably ate a few people up. I picked my way through the second half and tried to limit the damage. I executed a perfect shot on a bedded buck and happily walked away with an 11. Then, a few targets later, I stroked a long alert deer. The pin was in the middle when the shot fired, and the arrow appeared directly behind the pin. That was probably my best shot of the day. There's nothing better than watching an arrow fly through your scope and hit directly where the pin had just been located. 

  I limited the damage on the second half and got off that half with two 8s. I shot one on a stone sheep and one on a caribou. Both arrows landed a little high and to the right. I misjudged the stone sheep, and I made a sub-par shot on the caribou. I erased the two 8s on that half by shooting five 11s, getting off that range at plus one. 


                                                                          My Take on the Day

  I"m not sure why, but I don't think I was mentally into this shoot. It could've been because I hadn't originally planned on shooting this week, or it could be that I just checked out. I'm not sure, and it really doesn't matter. I tried to make the best of it when I got there and ended up making a mess out of the gate. I felt like a horse that gets stuck in the starting gate as all of the other horses bolt toward the first turn. With dirt and rocks getting kicked in my face, I sat there and took it the best I could. I've learned not to react or overreact when I encounter highs and lows on a course. I try to remain a steady Eddy. 

  Going into the sixth target without a 10 can play tricks on your mind. It can deplete your confidence if you allow it to. I know that we all have averages because of our highs and lows, but I also know that even when you have a day that is below your average, it's probably not going to be that bad. 

 When I finally got an arrow to land in the 10, it relieved some of the tension I was feeling and let me be free, if only for a minute or two. I welcomed the feeling and told myself to concentrate on battling back. In the end, it was one of those days where I beat myself. Instead of letting the course beat me, I took care of the honors and did it myself. Throughout the fight, I kept out of corners and did my best to fight out of the clenches and remain strong. I took a few punches to the ribs that buckled my knees, and I felt knocked out on my feet, but I kept fighting until the bell sounded. I walked back to the truck with a bloody lip, broken nose, sore ribs and bloodied hands, but my confidence remained solid. I had survived an early beating and fought my way back into the fight. 

  I struggled with my aiming today. I"m not sure what was causing the problem. It could have been from some elevated blood sugar levels, or it could've been from my sore shoulders and back. No matter where the problem originated, I learned that I can get through a round when my body isn't cooperating. 

  I learned today that I'm having some issues with shadows on targets. Jacob had to help me find a place to aim on a few targets. It's always good to shoot with good friends who are willing to help when things aren't going well. I need to work on the shadow game. The canopy has been playing tricks on me. Barry let me borrow a 4x lens, and I'm going to see if that helps. I tried my 5x, but it seemed like it was a little too much. I think I need a tad more than my 3x. Hopefully, that will help me out. It seems that I'm chasing a place to aim because the shadows are moving so quickly. 

  I would like to say that Saturday wasn't a great day, but it had great moments. If I eliminate the first five targets of the day, I had a really good day. Although I'll never know the true reason behind the slow start, I can only guess. I'm guessing I wasn't mentally ready to start, and the shadows wreaked havoc with my aiming. 

  I've been having a few issues with the bow I've shot for most of this 3D season, so I'm going to try a different bow this week and shoot it next weekend at the last leg of the IBO Northeast Triple Crown. I just want to see how it does when I'm shooting a tough range.

  We're going to play a game this week. Can anyone identify the archer who has his binocular harness upside down? I saw the goofy old guy on the course and couldn't resist taking his picture.











  
 












  

No comments:

Post a Comment