Monday, June 14, 2021

2nd Leg of the IBO National Triple Crown

 


  As most of you regular followers know, I've been battling a pretty bad summer cold. Having the cold has drained a lot of energy from me, and I've also been battling allergies. The combination of the two things has made it difficult for me to stick to my practice schedule, as some days I don't have much strength. 

  I did the best I could to prepare for last weekend's shoot and felt confident going into it. I got a solid night of practice in last Wednesday, even though I didn't feel strong behind the bow. I moved all of my targets and shot them in all new lanes. Here is the result of that practice. The first number is the yardage of the target and the numbers that follow are the score I got and the yardage I   estimated the targets to be at. 


  On our way to the tournament, we ran into some problems. My father has had a few issues with the tires on his truck, and  thinking he wasn't going to the tournament, he didn't address the issues. When we got about three hours into the trip, we pulled into a rest area and realized we had some issues. The right front tire was about ready to split, as it was worn on the outside and inside, leaving a dip in the tire. 

  We got out to change the tire and realized that the spare wasn't the same size as the tires on the truck. I had given my 20-inch tires to Dad, so the spare was only a 17. We decided to put that bad front tire on the back and take our chances. Once on the road again, we didn't think about it too much. If it decided to blow, we would deal with that problem if it happened. 




                                                                              Practice Day

  After heading onto the practice range, I realized I wasn't seeing numbers that well, and I wasn't executing the best of shots. I decided to write it off as being due to the day of travel. When I went back on the course to shoot the second half with Jacob, things got better and some of my confidence returned. However, I still wasn't holding the bow that well due to the cold I've been battling.  Wade headed onto his range and shot 20 targets. He had a great day and finished the day at 4 down after 20 in the MCBH class. Anytime you end up in that area, it's usually a good sign. 

                                                                              Day 1

  When I got to my target assignment, No. 19, I saw that Allen Conner, Art Brown and Digger Cogar would be with me for that round. I looked forward to shooting with them because they're all easygoing guys. They're also great shooters, so I knew it would present me with a lot of opportunities to listen to arrows and see good arrows to aim off from. 

  Looking down the lane, I saw a medium alert deer. The number kind of stuck out to me by target size and I mentally prepared for the shotgun start. When it was my turn to shoot, I drew back and settled in. The pin move around more than I expected, so I let down to start again. Upon my second attempt, the pin still moved a fair amount, but the shot fired during the movement. It hit at 9 o'clock in the 10-ring. A few of the other guys got 11s on it. 

  Heading to the second target, I saw a black bear. It was set in some dark timber down a fairly narrow path. It reminded me of a lot of places I've been while hunting elk. It was a gradual grade downhill, and the target was under some heavy, tall evergreens. It was somewhat difficult to see, but being black, the pin would show up OK. 

  When I drew the bow, I still had more movement in my sight picture than I had anticipated. I had changed releases after the first shot in hopes of making my aim a little steadier. Unfortunately, it didn't work. When the shot fired, I knew I didn't have enough yardage on it, and the arrow struck just below the 10-ring. 

  A little concerned about my shot and my hold, I continued through the course and tried hanging on, switching releases multiple times. The other guys were shooting well, and I was clawing to stay alive. I felt like a guy who had been tossed over the railing on a king crab boat and was doing everything he could to keep from being tossed into the sea and swept into the current without the other crew members knowing it. 

  Then, we came upon a long, steep downhill turkey. It was set in a position that was almost exactly where I like to put targets on my range to get newcomers. Most of them are really intimidated by it when they see it. I knew this was one of those swing targets that plays into the final results. The guys who get this one automatically gain points on the field. Digger had a really hard time settling on this target and couldn't get his aim to steady out. This made me nervous because I knew if the shot was giving him problems, it was probably going to be rather difficult for everyone.

  When it was my turn to shoot, I drew the bow, got the pin to the middle as quickly as I could, and waited. The pin sat rock solid in the 10-ring. It got to the point where I admired the pin rather than executing my shot. I had to let down and start over. The second time around, the pin did the same thing: it just sat there. Then, right as I could feel that the release was going to fire, the pin drifted left and the arrow was on its way. I had given up a perfect opportunity to gain points on the field and had to settle for an 8.

  Slightly irritated, I made my way to the next shot. It was a long, downhill mule deer. When I drew the bow, I knew I didn't have enough number on it, so I moved the pin up near the core line and settled in. I trusted the shot and trusted what I was doing. When the shot broke, I knew it was a good one. Yup! The arrow landed dead center in the 11, my first one of the day, and I was already halfway through the course. I knew I needed to bear down and try to erase as many of the three 8s I had shot as possible. 

  Looking at the next target, I saw a chance to fully erase that 8 that I had shot on the turkey. I would worry about the two previous ones after that. Once again, it was a long, downhill shot, and it was over 50 yards. Once again, my pin drifted left as the bow fired, and the arrow hit a hair low and left of the 11-ring. I just couldn't get anything going. I knew the problem was related to my hold, and I knew the last nine targets were going to be tough because they were all uphill. 

  After the bedded, elk I made an incredible shot on a bedded Dahl sheep and put the arrow in the middle of the 11. I followed that shot with an 11 on a grazing doe. Using the momentum to my advantage, I led off a long, uphill fallow deer and executed my best shot of the day. The arrow hit directly behind the pin in the middle of the 11. I had executed three perfect shots in a row and was sitting at 2 down with six left for the day. The next target, an impala, stuck out to me. I had practiced shooting my impala regularly, and I knew it was right around 40 yards. Knowing that, I overarmed at it and tried forcing my arrow into the 11 instead of letting the bow fire itself. I made a bad shot and paid the price. I settled for one of those ugly 8s that we all get from time to time. 

  My next three targets consisted of a lynx, a coyote and a black panther, and every target was long and uphill. I made decent shots but hit two of them to the left and one of them low. I 10d the last few targets and got off the course at 10 down, which was good enough for the top five scores. I was highly disappointed because of the seven 8s I had shot for the day, five of them were due to less than ideal shots. I should've gotten off the course without dropping any points. I wasn't happy with myself, but I knew I hadn't blown my chances on the first day. I was still in the hunt. 

  

                                                                                         Day 2

      Going into Day 2, I felt confident that I would have a better day. Although I got minimal sleep due to my cold, I still felt confident. When I got to my target assignment the second day, I glanced at it and realized I'd be shooting a fallow deer. A quick glance told me it was all of 50 yards. When the cards were drawn, I was chosen to go first. 

  When the horn sounded, it reminded me of all of the indoor rounds I've shot. I drew my bow instantly, settled in and broke my best shot of the weekend. I fully expected the arrow to appear in the middle of the 11. I couldn't have possibly shot a better shot. When I saw the arrow hit in the leg, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had set the sight for 50 and made a perfect shot. Instantly, I knew the target wasn't 50 yards. 

  Knowing there wasn't anything I could do, I marched toward the second target and knew I had some ground to make up. It was early enough in the round, and I've shot as many as 15 11s on a 20 target range at national events, so I knew I had it in me to make up the ground. I would give it my best to pick away at the deficit. 

  After shooting two solid 10s in a row, just missing the 11, I dip-banged on a very long wolverine and the shot fired on the dip. I had perfect yardage but shot a 5. Four targets in and I was already 10 down, but I knew I still had time to claw my way back into the picture. 

  I fought my way back into the picture to make the shootoff and knew I had a legitimate chance with a few targets left. Unfortunately, I misjudged a Dahl sheep. I had the sight set correctly, but something inside me made me change it at the last second. I know better than that. I shot a low 8 on it and would've gotten it if I stuck with the plan. It's been a long time since I've done that, so it was my own fault. I thought I made a pretty good shot on a bedded doe and hit the 8 line low. I'm still not sure how the arrow got there. Then I made a good shot on a javelina but barely missed the 10, hitting just underneath it. I think I had the right number, but I couldn't see my pin well enough to know if I was in the right place when the shot fired. 

  When the dust cleared, I learned I had missed the shootoff by one shot, probably the dip-bang I experienced on the wolverine. If that didn't happen, I'm assuming I would've 10d the target. That's the breaks in this game. You can't escape mistakes every weekend, but you can try to learn from them. I will do my best to correct my problems and try to do better next time. 


My Thoughts on the Weekend 

 First, I must say congratulations to all of the people from my region who found a spot on the podium this week. I'm proud of all of you, and I'm glad you put in the work to perform well at a national events. I'm proud to represent eastern New York and New England. It feels good to be part of your family. It would take too long to mention everyone, so I apologize for this generic statement. I think I reached out to most of you, and if I didn't, please know that I didn't purposely forget you. Your victories are my victories, and it will always be that way. I always appreciate your unwavering support. It can do a lot for a person when you know everyone in your region is rooting for you. 

  I gave it my best this weekend, but my best just wasn't good enough this week. Sometimes, you can shoot your bow really well and not score well. I feel that I shot my bow well all weekend. For being weak and still struggling from the cold, I feel I performed to the best of my ability under the circumstances. 

  The courses were a little over the top in my opinion. If we want to grow the professional classes and encourage people to move up from amateur classes into semi-pro, we can't scare them off. I've set a lot of courses in my life, and there are plenty of ways to make courses difficult without setting targets over the max distance. There's a max distance for a reason. At this day in age, there's no reason to push the limit. Let the shooters put on a show and let them battle it out. After shooting the 5 on my first target, Bill McCall told me he knew exactly what I did because of my reaction. He said it saved him from doing the same thing. I would've probably known what Bill did if he led off the target and hit it where I hit it. When you're shooting with top-level shooters, it's not hard to figure out certain things on the range. These guys are professionals for a reason. 

  A little more on Bill McCall. He's one of the nicest people I've ever shot with in archery. I've been fortunate enough to shoot with him a few times already this year, and I've enjoyed my time sharing the stake with him. Bill took the time to introduce himself to my dad while he was shooting, and he has been positive in all of my interactions with him. Most of you who know me know that you can't usually tell whether I've done well or poorly. I like to maintain a level head while shooting, and I don't get too high on the highs or too low during the low points. I see Bill as a similar person, and I think that's what makes him one of the best in the business. If you don't currently do it, I would suggest following him. He's a great person to model yourself after if you're looking to go to the next level. We should have more professional archers who act like him. I'm grateful for having met him and shot with him. It has been a rewarding experience to meet another great person through archery. 

  I had a great group the first day, too. Art Brown, Allen Conner and Digger Cogar were in my group. We had a good day, even though none of us tore it up. Many people would've been swearing and cussing, but we all took it on the chin and kept moving along. Heck, I learned a long time ago that if great shooters are shooting poorly, that usually means that the course isn't making matters easy on anyone so you need to keep plugging along.That's what we all tried to do. I have to admit that it is difficult to watch good people hit bumps in the road while shooting. I witnessed it a few times over the course of two days with different individuals. Although I want to to my best, I also make it a habit to route for other good people. I like to see good people do well and routing for them only helps my self-image grow. Ray Young had  a really solid first day, but he struggled the second day. I don't like seeing people struggle, but I know it's part of the game. If I ever had a wish, it would be that we all shot our very best, like we do in our backyards, and we could battle it out every week like that. 

  I'm going to take some time off this week and try to kick this cold. I need to get past this to get strong again. Once again, I didn't realize how badly it was beating me up until today when I went back to work. All of my energy had been used up over the weekend. I'm hoping to put it behind me as quick as possible. I may end up going back to my 5X lens for the rest of the season. I will play with it a little bit and make a decision. I've shot a 3X all year, but I saw where it just wasn't enough with all of the long targets this past weekend. I needed to see better. I think that would have saved me a few points along the way.

  Looking back on things over the weekend, I made some phenomenal shots. I'll focus on them and move along. Hopefully, this pothole I ran into that wrecked the sidewall on my tire for the weekend will be nothing but a distant memory. Meanwhile, I know I need to work harder, so I'll shoot for the stars as I map out my new plans.











  





No comments:

Post a Comment