Sunday, February 10, 2019

Grinding: Halfway through Indoor Season



  Well, there it is.......that target is the story of my indoor season so far this winter. I've had a good couple of weeks at the range. I've come to the conclusion that the bow I'm shooting just doesn't seem to be that forgiving in my hands. While the bow shoots really well, I can't get away with very much on my end. I've had some bows over the years that felt like I could stand on my head while making more bad shots than good, and the arrows would still find their way to the middle of the target. This bow simply doesn't do that. While I'm not making all perfect shots, many shot that I feel should be catching lines are not catching them. I still think it's ridiculous when you order a 60lb bow and it maxes at 67 lbs. The limbs down't stay locked down, either. I haven to constantly carry a wrench to button down the limbs and move them back to where they were when my round started. It's awesome to chase limbs every time I shoot. I'm very disappointed with that.

  The target above is from my Friday night league. Of course, I'm shooting a bow with a bowhunter freestyle setup, but I can still see well enough to know the pin is in the middle when the release fires. I shot a 300 with 55xs on the target above. When I got done with the round, I felt like I shot well enough to have ended with 58xs. I had two arrows hit where the pin was when the bow went off. The other three arrows were good shots, the pin was in the middle, and the arrow hit just outside the x. This seems to happen every time I shoot the bow. This is one of the few bows I've owned that I feel like I'm shooting better than the bow is shooting. Since I'm extremely stubborn, I'll keep plowing ahead to see if I can conquer the beast that lurks within.

  On the plus side, I've been shooting some of the best shots I can ever remember. I feel that the progress I've made with my shot process and execution will come to the forefront during the 3D season. The vast majority of my shots feel great, and I can feel my body working throughout the shot. When the arrow launches toward the target, it feels like someone cut the string. It's an awesome feeling.

  I've changed some of my practice routines. I haven't had much time to shoot, so I've done a fair amount of blind baling at home. Although I haven't had much time to get to the range, I've been shooting from 17 yards every time I go to practice. Seventeen yards seems to be the perfect distance to give me enough anxiety to work on making perfect shots while still having  to make sure everything is done perfectly to keep the arrows in the middle.

  The first few times I followed this routine, I encountered a few anxious moments when I let score creep into my head. As I continued my program, my focus went entirely to my shot, and I quickly realized that focusing on the shot is much easier when I can feel it.

  So what's ahead? I'm not really sure what I will be doing the rest of the winter. I might just stick to the two leagues I shoot in every week. I've been using the weekends to focus on book sales, which is what I need to do  right now. I have a window of opportunity that can't be ignored. I've been debating about a few different tournaments and should probably make a decision in the coming days. The big ones I've been debating on are the Mid-Atlantic Sectionals and the NY State Indoor Championship. Although I haven't made a decision, I'm on the outside looking in. We will see what happens in the coming weeks.

  Congratulations to all of my friends who went to Vegas and shot well. Although many of you are probably coming home a little less confident than when you left, you have to remember that this is a game of ups and downs. We have to take what each day gives us and understand that nobody in the world is perfect, no matter who we are talking about. The people who learn from their disappointments and use them to propel themselves to greater heights are the ones that deserve the greatest props. You have to remember that you don't learn a damn thing on your best days. It's the days that find you doing some soul searching that will tell you what you need to know. Those are the days that you learn the most.

  I'd like to give a shoutout to my buddy Steve Santos, who gave it a run in the Senior Championship at Vegas. He came really close to getting on the podium against some of the best shooters in the world. That's impressive in my book. He started shooting a Truball Execute this year and says that it has helped his game. He likes the way he can anchor with it and feels he shoots better with it because it's more comfortable for him. I might follow in Steve's footsteps this spring when the Stan caliper is available. The trigger on that release is the best I've ever felt on a caliper. I'm looking forward to putting it to the test. Congratulations, Steve. You definitely deserve it. Great job.

  Keep grinding and making progress............3D season is only about seven weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment