Unloading gear out of my truck, I looked and saw my old buddy Jeff Jenkins walking through the parking lot. Then Wade spotted him, and within seconds, they were team Chandler/Jenkins. Wade, Jeff, Dad and I used to travel to all of the IBO National Triple Crown shoots 30 years ago. We made some great memories, many of which I still cherish today. Wade was the guy whom I always wanted to catch up to when I started, then Jeff drove me to be better. I owe both of them a lot in my archery career, especially to where I finally ended up, so thank you to both of you.
After signing up and heading to the practice range, I felt good about my chances when I shot my last group in practice at 60 yards, with four of the five arrows staying in the dot on the Morrell bag. With that, we headed onto the range.
Walking up to the first stake, a 60-yard rising boar greeted Jacob and me. It was placed nicely in front of the pond. I stepped up to the stake, set my sight, glassed the target and drew the bow. When the pin hit the black, it settled nicely, and I executed a perfect shot. The arrow hit directly behind the pin, and I felt good about our start ... for a second. Then, I was informed that the arrow had landed just above the 10 ring. I couldn't complain. A few minutes later, we walked away from Target 1 with an 8. We usually shoot one 8 per team shoot or none at all. We've never shot more than one. Unfortunately, we weren't off to a good start, but then again, we've never started well. We've always seemed to be better finishers than starters at this event.
When we glanced over at the second target, we saw a 55 yard white goat staring back at us. Tom led it off and smoked it. Then, it was my turn. When I drew the bow, the pin settled quickly, but I couldn't get the shot off. On the second draw, I held too long and got a little weak on both ends. Knowing better than to shoot a crappy shot, I didn't listen to the voices and tried muscling the shot. I hit just under the 10-ring. Jacob bailed me out by shooting an 11.... then we started rolling. Both of us got the first few shots out of our system and got into a groove. The woods were dark, but we began shooting 11s and 14s at will.
After meandering through the woods and getting back into the field, we came upon a stretch of bombs. The first was a black bear, then a red stag, then a gator, and we finished on a boar. We made quick work of all of them, scoring nothing less than an 11. We got off the first half in good shape, and felt like we could gain some ground on the second half.
Second Half
Going into the second half, I felt good about my shooting. It took me a bit to get in the groove, but once I found it, things began rolling. Target 1 on the second half was not a treat, and it almost made me want to go back to the rising boar on the first half.
Walking to the stake, another 60+ yarder welcomed us. It was a howling wolf set in a field on the other side of some dark shadows. It was almost impossible to aim at, so I found the front leg and went up it and a pinch to the right. When the shot broke, it felt like a good one, and I was relieved to hear the arrow had found a home in the 10-ring.
Moving to the next target, we once again couldn't see it well. It was a Corsican ram set in some heavy shadows. I executed another good shot and continued the good shots for quite a run until I ran into a minor hiccup when a few groups got backed up and I became distracted, losing my focus for a few shots.
After quickly recovering, we continued our march toward the finish line, with Jacob shooting pink dots the size of quarters like they were at 10 yards instead of in the mid 50 and 60s. When I take a step back and think I'm shooting well, I look at him and realize how bad I suck. I guess it puts it all in perspective, but I truly appreciate watching excellence at this event every year when I'm watching one of the world's best. After watching this year's performance, I wished I was watching him last night at the Bowhunter Games. The way Jacob shoots long-distance 3Ds and little dots is mind-boggling.... he rarely misses and if he does miss, it's not more than an inch or two. What a treat to be able to see.
Unlike our finishes most years when we roll through the last few targets, we had a few instances this year that prevented us from doing that. On the second to last target, a mid 60s elk, the wind was blowing pretty good and I accounted for a slight drift. The arrow ended up inside out in the 11. However, when Jacob accounted for the drift, the arrow didn't drift, and the arrow landed just out of the 14.
Then on the final target, a long caribou, I drew and anchored in preparation of letting my last arrow loose. When the shot broke, I knew I had once again smoked the 11. Then my arrow ran out of gas and hit the caribou on the leg. Looking at my sight, I had set the sight short by 10 yards. I guess there were too many distractions to get to the finish line without a mistake. I executed a perfect shot and was disappointed at the result. That's when Jacob did his thing and baled me out again, smoking the 14 ring. We walked off at +71 for the day on what was probably the longest average distance course we've ever shot for this event, and all targets were Rineharts, which have smaller kills than McKenzies. It didn't approach our high scores of the past, but we still did alright.
Final Thoughts
I love this event and I'm glad Hudson Falls has carried on Shawn Couture's tradition. We had 60+ people, and that was an increase from last year. We consider that a win and will most likely try it again next year. Spread the word and bring some more friends and family members.
I've struggled with back issues the last few weeks since returning from the IBO World. I lugged on a few too many things at work and put a few kinks in my aging back. This made shooting difficult. It was a struggle from start to finish, but I still had a great time being surrounded by my closest friends, even Fat Panda LeLacheur.
It was amazing to see my buddies Wade and Jeff teaming up again after being apart for 30-plus years. This was the highlight of my day. Although I'd like to say everything went off without a hitch, Fat Panda was highly disappointed that he couldn't have any cheese on his hamburger because Chuck Weeden didn't get enough cheese for all the burgers and ran out before Panda got to the food. Panda's belly growled all the way back to Massachusetts, but he rode away with a smile as he always does. He brings life to the party, and he has found his place in this archery world.
It wasn't all that long ago that Rob was battling demons to stay alive. Then, he found archery and in many ways, archery has helped him on his journey. Has it become his purpose? We will never know that, but he knows and that's all that matters. I encourage all others to help as many people as you can to find something that inspires them, and if they find it, help them follow their passion. Passion brings life to lives, and I feel bad for people who never find a passion to follow. Thank you, Panda, for inspiring me to be a better person, offer help to others, and never give up on people when all others have given up on them. You have helped me more than you will ever know, and I appreciate you, so thank you for giving me guidance when I've asked. It will never be forgotten. People who have the most life experiences usually have the best advice, and that's why I feel comfortable seeking you out. But, I'm not driving over the mountains to go to Kung Fu Express next year. I'm headed back to the kid whose friend likes apple juice.
Thanks to everyone who came to the event. I hope a good time was had by all, and I appreciate all of your support at Hudson Falls Fish and Game. Thank you for always supporting the events with which I'm involved. Your support is appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment