Sunday, June 23, 2024

ASA Northeast in Townsend, Mass.

 


  This week didn't go much better than the last few weeks, as I'm still battling the cold I can't seem to shed.  However, I didn't have to think much about attending this event. I knew the terrain would be relatively flat, and next week is the Metropolis, Illinois, ASA Pro-am. I figured seeing the targets would be good, even if I wasn't feeling the best. 

  When we started, there was a miserable, drizzly mist falling from the sky. Although it wasn't what I would consider rain, it was enough to make it difficult to see. We started on a howling wolf in an area that resembled a sandpit. After shooting the wolf and making our way into the woods, the mist got a little heavier, and the dark woods made it even harder to see where to place the pin -- at least for 55-year-old eyes. 

  I never got into a groove throughout the first half and couldn't seem to hit a 12 after getting behind the 8-ball. The picture above spells out my entire day. While people talk about it all the time, this has been the stark reality for me this year at the national ASAs. I've been all around the 12 but can't seem to reel any in. Over the course of the day, I'd be willing to bet I shot 12-13 arrows from this distance to about another inch out of the 12-ring. I've been so close to shooting a BIG score, but it hasn't happened yet. I know it's hiding in the weeds like a lion waiting to attack a herd of gazelles. It's just a matter of time. The law of statistics say you can't keep being that close without eventually capitalizing and having a bunch of them roll in the other direction. I have great faith the lion is ready to run his prey down and devour it. 

  Anyhow, as we finished the first half, I got off it at 4 down, I believe. Considering my shot wasn't too smooth, I looked at it as a success. Moving along to the second half, my shot began to feel slightly better. I believe the caffeine I sucked down on the ride over had begun to subside. 

  By the time we got to the board midway through the second half, I felt really good. I shot my best shot of the day on the boar and placed the arrow exactly where I wanted it. However, it was millimeters out of the 11. There was some consolation to that when I got to the turkey and finally put an arrow inside-out in the 12-ring. 

  As we made our way down the homestretch, the heavens let loose, and we shot in pouring rain the rest of the way. At times, the arrows where shedding a trail of water as they made their way to the targets. At that point, I began to check out and did a few things I wouldn't normally do. I shot the last two targets without cleaning all the water off my lens, and I couldn't see where I was on the target while aiming. I ended up shooting a few 8s on the last two targets due to being stubborn and not concentrating until the end.  I ended the day at 8 down. It definitely wasn't one of my better performances, but with all things considered, it wasn't too terribly bad. 

                                                       Some Final Thoughts


  


  I've shot with a lot of amazing people over my years in archery. I've shot with numerous Vegas winners; I've shared an elk camp with a Vegas winner, an IBO World Champion, and an NFAA Indoor National Champion. I've seen these people do amazing things behind the bow, and I've always been in awe at how easy they make it look. While I know they all worked incredibly hard at their craft, I also know how difficult it is for me to shoot a bow well and achieve many smaller things along the way. 

  However, of all of those people, I never spent as much time with them as I've spent shooting with Jacob over the last handful of years. I've enjoyed watching him grow and giving some words of advice along the way. 

  There are some days that I'm in awe while watching him perform. Saturday was one of those days. He makes the game look so incredibly easy that I can't even fathom having that ability. I wish that everyone could witness it at one time or another. 

  There are pros, and there are elite pros. Jacob is an elite pro. There's not a game he can't compete in, and he's at the top in all of them. However, when he clears the field of marked yardage shooters by a whole lot of points, it's mind boggling to think he's guessing the yardage. While he shot 24 up, he easily could've shot 34 up, as he barely missed all the ones he didn't get. During the day, he only shot one arrow that wasn't close to the 12, and that was from misjudging a target in a dark hole while we were fooling around. 

  When the day was done, and I was driving home, I had a lot of thoughts on my mind. The thoughts were drowned out when I thought about what I had just seen. It was refreshing to see, and I'm glad Tyler got to see it for once too. Many people see the results here and there and are amazed, but they never get to see it while it's happening. It puts it at another level altogether when you witness it. 

  We will be headed to Metropolis in a few days, and I'm looking forward to getting after it again. My days of 3-leaf clovers are over. I'm bringing the 4-leafer with me this time. It's just the law of statistics that say I will find one soon. 

  On a final note, congratulations to Mike Bushey on his win in K45. Way to go, Mike. I'm sure you've wanted one like this for a while. Good job on staying focused in the pouring rain and getting the job done. 

                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment