Monday, May 20, 2024

First Leg of IBO National Triple Crown


  I can say that I haven't been more prepared for an event in a long time. I was ready both mentally and physically. My shot has been really good, and my mental approach has been solid. Although I never go to an event with expectations, I knew the sky was the limit, and I really did't see anything preventing me from getting the job done. 

  We arrived in Pipestem around midnight on Thursday night and settled in to see what the next day would bring. We met the clan at the target butts and hung out while waiting for the fog to lift so they could go to their ranges and try to get half of their tournament completed. 

  When everyone headed out, Wags and I went to the defense course to get used to the setting and see if we could become accustomed to the look of things. It always takes a bit to become accustomed to the setting wherever the tournament might be held. All pieces of woods seem to be different. 

  The practice range didn't treat me the best, as I was seeing everything short. I knew I was in trouble when I shot a downhill 50-yard wolverine for 43 and the arrow stuck in the dirt in front of the target. That's not great for a confidence builder, but I just laughed and moved on. You have to be able to laugh at yourself a little and realize the focus isn't quite the same as when you're in live action on tournament day. 

  I made the adjustment for the second loop we shot, which was all in the woods, and felt really good about the next day. I pounded every target on the second loop, and my shot was smooth and fluid. When the guys came back after finishing 20 targets, they felt good about their performances. 

                                                             Day 1

  After marching down to the meeting before the tournament, I was glad to see I would be shooting with Glenn Meadows and Jeff Hopkins. I like both of those guys a lot and knew we would have a pretty stress-free day. They both make it easy to shoot and are encouraging. It's always good to have guys who cheer you on, even when you're competing against them. I value my friendship with both of them, and I appreciate the sportsmanship they have always shown while shooting with me. That goes a long way in this sport, which can bring some heated arguments at times. 

  When we got the signal to start, it was a sense of relief to know we would be shooting a boar that was pretty close to us. We made quick work of it, but none of us managed to 11 it. Moving to the second target, an alert deer, I felt good about my number. I settled in nicely, and my shot broke effortlessly. The arrow appeared directly next to the 11. 

  Moving along to the third target, an impala, I felt conflicted when setting my sight. Glenn had hit it a little bit high, and that concerned me, but I didn't adjust me sight. I executed another great shot, and my arrow hit directly above the 10-ring. I just could't convince myself the three targets we shot were as close as they were. It caught me off guard and I just didn't listen to my gut on the impala. 

  Moving from the impala out into the field to shoot a Hogzilla target down a long, mowed path, The number kind of jumped out at me. I set me sight, pulled my bow back, anchored, and shot yet another effortless shot. The arrow hit directly behind the pin, and I thought I had my first 11 of the day. However, after stepping away from the stake and looking at it with my binoculars, I learned I had just missed it. I couldn't complain. 

  When we ducked inside the woods for the next target, I was highly disappointed when I saw an alligator strapped to a tree as if it were climbing the tree. The head was up the tree and the tail was on the ground. Although many people praise Larry Kade courses, I'm not a big fan of going to a national event and shooting novelty shots that you find at local clubs. While everyone does have to shoot the same targets, the novelty shots sometime leave the first person shooting them at a disadvantage. This was definitely the case on the wolverine that we shot in the tree on Day 2. It was very difficult to see in the dark and hard to aim at. However, after getting an arrow in it, all of the other shooters had a defined aiming spot. By the end of the weekend, we shot three targets in or on trees. One year I shot an upside down boar, set as if it were roasting over a fire. Another year, I shot a standing bear that was strapped upside down to a tree. Yeah, it's cool and funny and all that, but there really isn't a need for it. It's a national event, not a novelty shoot. While the ranges are well set with a lot of mixed yardage, that type of stuff has a place.

  After getting my first 11 of the day on the gator in the tree, I made my way through the rest of the range and stayed consistent. Although I shot another 8 on the new mule deer, I made it all up by the time I got to the black panther after coming out of the field. When we arrived at the target, it was backed up three groups, so we had a considerable wait. I was exhausted from the night before when I hadn't gotten any sleep and the nonstop waiting we encountered after getting halfway through the course began  eating at my focus. 

  After a long wait, it was finally our turn to shoot the panther. I had a hard time getting a number, so I tried using one that I thought would keep me in the 10-ring. Unfortunately, I estimated the yardage incorrectly and my arrow pierced the 8-line above the 10-ring. 

  Moving to the next target, a Dahl sheep that was downhill, I felt confident about my number. My hold went a little long and got a little bouncy when it fired. I got the dreaded dip/bang and landed directly under the 8-ring. My solid day had disappeared quickly. I did the best I could to hold on for the last few targets and got off the course at 7 down. It wasn't where I had planned, but that's what was on the card. I ended the day with two good shots on a long bedded stone sheep and a long snarling wolf. I could walk away with that in my pocket for the next day. Although I had shot myself in the foot, I wasn't done fighting. I stood in 12th place when the day ended. 

                                                                      Day 2

  Going into Day 2, I felt confident. After getting a good night's rest and recovering from the day before, I was determined to stay focused throughout the round and make the best shots I could. When we got our target assignments, I was glad to see I would be shooting with Jeff Hopkins, Tony Tazza and a new guy to our class, Curtis Wiley. I felt good about the group. I like shooting with Tony, and I would be Jeff for the second day in a row. Anytime you're in a peer group with two of the best guys in the business, you know the first day definitely could've been worse, even though it wasn't the best. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm competing against professionals, the best people who play the game -- and I'm one of them. 

  Day two was pretty uneventful. While the course was a little soft as far as yardage goes, it was difficult to come up with the numbers. I think the hardest shot of the day for me was the grazing doe across the pond and up the hill. I had to lead it off, and the number was hard to get. I knew it was a bomb, but I didn't know if it was the full boat. After going back and forth with my thoughts on it, I set my sight in a spot that I hoped would secure a 10. I broke one of the cleanest shots of the day, and my arrow appeared less than an inch to the left of the 11. I was happy with that. 

  When we got to a stretch with five little targets in a row, I questioned the thought process on the setting of the targets. Would it be better to start in that area, get them in the middle of your round, or finish there. Well, I would be finishing with the coyote on a tree, javelina, lynx, wolverine in a tree, and a turkey. I figured if I could get through them with 50 points, I would have a shot at possible getting into the top 5. 

  I executed some of my best shots of the day throughout that stretch of targets and scored 51 points. However, when the cards were added up, I hadn't gained ground on anyone in my group, as they basically scored the same as me with exception of one 8 on the wolverine. Once again, the best of the best don't budge when you're standing toe to toe with them and exchanging blows. It's all a matter of limiting the damage and making as few mistakes as possible. 

  When we had finished the day, I was satisfied but highly disappointed. I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish in the tournament. I ran my mental program regularly, and I made great, relaxed shots. I didn't struggle with my shot, and I gained more trust in it as the day progressed on Sunday. I could easily beat myself up, but there's no need in doing that. I know what kept me out of the shootdown round, and that was the few dip-bangs I had, which led to two fives. I finished at 391and in 8th place, 8 points from being in the shootdown round. I've had two decent showings in a row, and I'm gaining confidence in my shooting and performances. I'll keep plugging along and working in silence because I don't know any other way. There might be all sorts of guys who are more talented than me, but I can guarantee you that nobody works harder. 

                                                             Thoughts on the Weekend

  I went to the event with my Mach 34 because I felt the most confident with that bow. It was going 298 and it groups better than all of my bows. I knew I made the best choice for the bow, even if people looked at me funny when they saw the carbon hunting bow in my hands. I'll tell everyone to use the bow that brings you the most confidence. Now that we've been outside for a few weeks, I feel like I'm competitive again, unlike the first couple of ASAs this year when we were kept inside due to the weather. 

  Sometimes we beat ourselves up when we don't do as well as we would've liked. However, we need to step back and realize that all classes have monsters in them -- a lot of them. Instead of trying so hard to be perfect, you'll find it easier to succeed if you go out and have the most fun you can and let things play out as they're supposed to play out. Instead of creating self-induced pressure, the best results always come when you don't try too hard. Instead, let your skills speak for themselves. They'll find a way to the forefront if you trust your abilities. 

  I'd like to congratulate a few people whom I really respect, then touch on something about all of them. Dave Ferguson, from central New York, has been at this game a long time. He grinds like the rest of us, and he puts his time in. He's always a great competitor, and he leaves it all out there. Sometimes he does awesome, and sometimes he lays an egg. He's just like the rest of us. I respect him and his game. I admire him. Well, Dave won the first leg of the National Triple Crown, and I'm really happy for him. Congratulations, Dave. That win is well deserved. 

  I remember the first time I met Christine Bushey a few years ago. I admired the fire in her belly and the competitiveness she showed to be great. Not many people, especially women, have that kind of determination and desire to be great. She showed it that day and continues showing it every time she shows up to shoot. She might get her ass kicked and she might bring the boots and do the ass-kicking. Whatever happens, when she shows up, you had better be ready. She brings the combat gear and is going to go down fighting. She will never give up until the end. Well, after some coaching in the winter and a check in the mental bank, she's ready and she's laying it down. She won the event, and I'm psyched to see what she does from here. I look forward to watching her growth. 

  Lastly, I could never not mention the man who has no filter, Tom Thygesen. It's not often that we like people like ourselves, but I love Tom. He has no filter, just like me, and I think it's pretty funny. You never have to know what he is thinking. If you are wondering, just ask him. He won't let you down with the reply. Just be ready for what comes out. Well, anyhow, Tom showed up and finished in 2nd place. He has put the work in, and it's showing. His last two events have brought his name to the top of his class at the national level, and I know firsthand that it is no easy fete to accomplish that. Congratulations, Tom. I love ya buddy, and I couldn't be happier to watch you succeed. It's pretty awesome to watch from afar. Hopefully, I can live up to my end of the bargain before the year's done. 

  Now, I know all three of the people mentioned have received coaching from two different local coaches. I've sent many people to both coaches, and I try to send people to coaches that fit what they need. I think sometimes people tend to forget that or get lost in things to which they give their own lives to. 

  Mike Price and Mark Myers have helped a lot of people, and I've always been comfortable sending people to both of them. I can only hope both of them are able to step back and be thankful for that. When you seek a coach, just like a therapist, sometimes two people can say the same exact thing, but you understand it better from one or the other. It's all about finding the person who works for you. If you  are looking to improve your game and want some instruction, you might want to ask people who have seen different coaches and why they ended up choosing the one they chose. It's all about what works for you. It's not about what this person says or what that person says. I went to see multiple endocrinologists for my type 1 diabetes. In the end, I found one I really gelled with, and that's the one I chose. Do what's best for you and ignore the noise. 

  I'm going to keep my head down and grind. I'm gettin closer and closer. My process is being refined at every event, and I'm gaining ground every time. It's not about the outcome, it's about perfecting the process, and I had a winning performance with that over the weekend. The results don't always show what else is going on in the pursuit of perfection, so pay attention to improving the process. When it all comes together, the results will show up. 

  And one last shout-out to the Yamins. Zach got himself a podium finish and his big sister, Haylee took a leap and joined the female pro class. Congrats to both of you. Haylee, I hope you work hard and improve throughout the year. The sky is the limit. You have a baseline now, so you can move forward now and find the things you need to work on. Good luck. 

Here's Mikey wishing he was a kid again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment