Friday, August 18, 2023

Team Darton: Friends, Teammates & Titles

In July 2022, I stood in the parking lot in front of the horse barn at Hocking College in Nelsonville, Ohio, after we were told the pros would not be going back onto the range to finish the remaining targets due to the dangerous conditions on the range after a severe storm wreaked havoc and caused chaos. 

  While some shooters were over-the-top mad, others walked away and accepted the decision made. After people began clearing out of the lot, I stayed behind and chatted with Bill McCall about the decisions we both had to make going into the 2023 season, as both of our current contracts were coming to and end. We both discussed things we were considering and shared our thoughts with each other. 



  When the conversation ended, we were aware of each other’s intentions of going to Darton Archery. We also knew a few of our friends were considering the same option. However, it’s hard to get on board with any company, let alone one that is finally changing its course and becoming more heavily involved in competitive archery because everyone wants to go there and there’s not enough room for that to happen. That’s when we decided we would do what we had to do in the coming months and see where each of us ended up. 

  After the conversation, I headed to the vendor area to get ready for the shootdown round. I would be shooting in it with Digger Cogar, Tony Tazza, Jeff Hopkins and Tim Gillingham, and all of us would have a chance at winning due to only being separated by a couple of points after 20 targets, which is what the shoot-off had to be based on for this event due to the cancelation of Round 2. Hopkins would run away with it, pounding every 11 and a few 12s. 

  When the dust settled, Digger and I fell just a hair short. It just wasn’t meant to be on that day. Afterward, we discussed the next year, as all those decisions were fast approaching. Digger had the same ideas as me and Bill, so we all decided we would do what we had to for ourselves and see if we ended up in the same place at the end. 

                                                               The New Year Begins  

  After attending a few ASAs, I was ready to make the trip to Pipestem, W.V., to try my hand at the first leg of the IBO Triple Crown. On my way to the tournament, my phone began to ring, and I saw that it was Bill McCall. He was calling to inform me that we were going to have our backs against the wall in the team event. Then, he informed me that our team, Team Darton, which comprised me, Bill, Digger and Jeff Kirland would have to take down some titans of professional archery. TruBall had organized a team that was made up of Tim Gillingham, Jeff Hopkins, Tony Tazza and Loren Lohr… we would have our work cut out for ourselves. 




  We all got out of the gate well and maintained throughout the weekend. When the dust settled, we found ourselves as the winning team in the Professional Senior class for the first tournament. There were whispers that there would be no way we could win again. We had just gotten lucky. My teammates and I heard the whispers…

  After a short break, we headed to the Second Leg of the National Triple Crown in Franklin, Pa., to see if we could add to the lead. Franklin, always being known for being extremely tough, would require all of us to be on point. 

  After the first day of shooting, Digger, Jeff, and I found ourselves in the top peer group, and my team had extended our lead. Although the tournament was only half over, we were sitting in a good position to secure another win. 

  Although nobody on our team lit it up on Day 2, we all treaded water and basically ended up where we started the day. There were three Darton shooters, Digger, Jeff, and me, in the shootdown round after the 40 targets were completed… and we had secured our second win in as many tries. Could we pull off the impossible?

  All of us were new to Darton at the beginning of the year, and everyone was still learning the intricacies of the new equipment. We talked amongst each other and tried helping with the things with which we could help each other.

  As we headed to the third leg, we knew it was going to be a battle. Once again, I was in the top peer group for the overall National Triple Crown, with Jeff and Digger in my group. As friends and teammates, these guys have always made me comfortable, and I’ve always been able to relax while shooting with them. However, two years ago, my team went into the final leg well behind the leading team, yet we came out on top for the tournament and won the overall Triple Crown in PSR. With that in my head, I knew all of us had to do our job to secure the win. 

  Although Digger and I struggled a little on the first day, we still held our own, and Bill made up some ground. We had 20 targets left to get the job done. The course was difficult, but we all gave it our best effort.

  After the scores were tallied, we found out that Team Darton in the Professional Senior class had swept all three legs of the National Triple Crown and secured what I believe to be Darton’s first Manufacturer’s Cup in the IBO. David had defeated Goliath. The no-name hillbilly squad, with members from New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, had done what most thought would be impossible. 



                                                                My Final Thoughts

  Looking back at last August, my contract with PSE was going to expire soon, and I was looking for a new home. I’m thankful that Bill approached me to take a shot at joining him if he went to Darton. Then, I’m thankful Randy Kitts, the owner of Darton, gave me an opportunity to represent Darton Archery. 

  My journey through national 3D archery tournaments started 30 years ago, and I can remember seeing different teams after they won the Manufacturer’s Cup. Almost always, the cup made the journey from the IBO World Championship to Sparta, Wisc., after it was awarded to the best team. Mathews has dominated the team arena in IBO for the better part of the last 25 years.

 Over the years, I always imagined what it was like to hold the cup and be a part of the winning team. I no longer need to wonder what it feels like. Although we are Senior Pros, and it probably holds nowhere near the significance of winning it in Open Pro, it’s still an accomplishment that will live forever in the home of the manufacturer who sponsored the team: Darton Archery. I’m sure it will be the first of many Manufacturer’s Cups that find their way to the offices in Darton Archery.

  It wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t mention my incredible teammates. Good friends and teammates always find a way to bail each other out in time of need. Unfortunately, I struggled a little more this year with the new equipment than my teammates, but I also was able to stay consistent and find myself in the top 3 after 40 in one tournament and in the top 10 regularly. Winning any type of team event is probably more difficult than winning an event on your own. Every teammate needs to contribute and pull their own weight if the ship is taking on water in other areas. We were able to do that this year, and I’ll be forever thankful that Bill, Digger, and Jeff were all on the same boat and rowing in the same direction when we headed into battle with Goliath. None of us have a problem knowing we were underdogs. We welcomed the challenge and stepped forward to take it on. You can move mountains when you have confidence, and avalanches can swallow you up if you approach anything with any bit of negativity lingering around.


                                                 Passing it on is important. We all let Aiden Pfitze hold on to the cup and share in our moment. Aiden made the shootdown round as a cub in his first trip to the IBO World. Way to go, Aiden!!

  Although I’ve seen people sharing their opinions on the Bible verses on the limbs of Darton bows, it’s a free country, and this allows us to have freedom. A business owner can do as he chooses, and you can do as you choose also. Maybe this Manufacturer’s Cup and team win will inspire the verse “with God nothing shall be impossible” (Luke 1:37) to find its way onto a few limbs in the future. I’ve learned that anything is possible in archery if you believe in yourself. If more people did the same, it could be contagious… and winning – and losing – is contagious. 



  I don’t know what the future will bring in my archery career, and I’ve had a lot of great moments, but this moment stands out above many of them. Although I was part of the PSR winning team two years ago, this win had a different feel. Maybe it’s because Digger and I started at the same time and battled through all the years to get to where we are now; maybe it’s because I saw Kirkland performing at a high level when I was finding my way back to competitive archery after recovering from shoulder surgery and knew he was a guy to beat; or maybe it’s because I’ve always respected Bill and felt honored that a guy of his stature would ever ask little ol’ me to be on his team. Like, what could I offer him? He has done everything that can be done in professional archery. Any way I look at it, I’m thankful for these teammates, my friends. I couldn’t have done it without them, and I hope they feel the same about me. 

  

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment