Sunday, June 11, 2023

2nd Leg of IBO Northeast Triple Crown


  This week, I struggled badly with the pain in my shoulders. It just doesn't seem to want to let up. Although I've tried resting my shoulders, it hasn't appeared to do much, as the pain is constantly there. It's impossible to sleep comfortably, and shooting my bow doesn't seem to make it any worse or better. It's just painful. 

  My groups weren't the best this week, and I spent some time getting marks for the National Senior Games, which will take place in July. I'm sure I won't be able to shoot much to prepare that event, and I won't put too terribly much into it because it's not a priority to me this year. Overall, I didn't feel good about my practice on the bags, but I shot a few rounds on my course at home. I continued shooting my average of about even on 20 target rounds on some tough sets. I always know the sets on my course will be more difficult than anything I'll ever see at a national event. That always gives me confidence when I go to the big events.

  I traveled to the shoot with Dad, Wade and Jacob. When we left the house, the sun was out, and I figured we would have a great day to shoot. Then, when we got to Whistling Arrow in Montpelier, Vt., the rain started coming down, and before I knew it, the rain became steadier. However, I did get about 10 arrows in at 40 yards. The first group was a little sloppy, but the second one had every arrow in the small green dot on the bag. My shots broke great, and I felt prepared. The funny thing is that 12 hours earlier, I hadn't even considered shooting the bow I had in my hand. Then, on Friday evening, I screwed my 24' front bar and 10' back bar on it, and it held really well. It held so well, I shot five arrows from 40 and five arrows from 50 and they all stayed in the dot on my Morrell bag. It was the steadiest I've held a bow in a long time. That, combined with the fact the arrows grouped so well, made my decision to take the bow and try it much easier. It's never easy going to a shoot when your unfamiliar with your equipment, but it felt so good I wanted to see if I could shoot it well enough to consider bringing it with me to Franklin, Pa., next weekend. I knew I would be able to give it a true test. 

  As many of us waited for the rain to pass, we all shared stories and chit-chatted back and forth. I realized one thing while standing under the pavilion: I was with some of my favorite people. They are all people I like to spend time with, and every one of them gives me something that nobody else can give me. They all do it in their own way. 

  When we finally started, the first target was just a few feet from the pavilion, and when we drew cards to shoot, I was the lucky one who got drawn to shoot first. When I glanced at the target, the number stuck out. I've never had any issues with fallow deer, and although this was across a small dip and up on a hill in some tall grass, I knew I would smoke it. The pin sat down nicely, and I executed a great shot... 11. After one shot, I was satisfied with the bow. It felt just like it felt on my bag at home the night before. 

  Moving to the second target, I spotted a Corsican ram down the hill and across a small opening. Although the target appeared a long way away, I felt confident when I finally set my sight. When my shot broke, I knew I made a shot that I shouldn't have made. The arrow landed to the right of the 10-ring. I''m not sure why, but the shot irritated me more than most things irritate me on a 3D range. There's nothing worse than getting the number on a 3d target, especially when it's a trick number, and not shooting a 10. That frosts me. 

  Moving through the next few targets, I felt good about my numbers and my shots. It seemed that I was shooting everything a tad to the right, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I made great shots on the downhill elk and coyote, and my shot on the standing bear was smooth and powerful. Although I wasn't getting many 11s, I was scaring them to death. 

  As we picked our way through the 20-target loop, I felt confident with the bow and my yardage estimations. Along the way, I made a couple of weak shots, and I realized that this bow is not overly forgiving to weak shots. The arrows will hit to the right. At least I can easily identify why the arrows hit where they do with this bow, and it didn't take me any time at all to figure it out. 

  Along the way, I misjudged the bedded buck, hitting it high for an 8. It irritated me a little bit because I have that target and thought I had a great number. I was about four yards off, and that was the only target I misjudged throughout the day. When we got off the 20-target loop, I felt good about my performance, especially shooting a bow with which I have minimal experience. 

  This year, I've almost trained my mind to have intense focus for 20 targets because we always shoot 20 targets a day at national events. When we started the last 10, I was ready to check out for the day. My interest was waning, and I was ready to hop in the truck and head home. In a four target stretch, I shot four arrows to the right. I believe I was getting tired and not staying strong throughout the shot. I need to pay more attention to that part of my shot in the future if I'm going to continue using this bow. 

  As we neared the end, I made a few great shots, getting 11s on a steep downhill stone sheep and a tricky medium deer across a small field. When we got to the last target, an elk, I knew I was about event and figured a 10 would leave me at even. When the shot broke, I knew it was going to hit a hair to the left, and that's right where it his... just left of the 11. I ended the day at 2 down and wasn't sure how to feel about it. 

                                                                             My Take on the Day

  This was probably the best set course I've ever shot in New England or New York. Tyler Thygesen and crew. Tyler took the criticism from last year's event and made good on it. He produced a top-level course that will be very hard for anyone to rival. This course was what Jacob and I would call a "technical course." If you are a ground judger, this course ate you alive. You needed to know how to use depth perception for this course. I'm sure this one humbled a few people, and if you are one of them, you should now know what you need to work on. I feel badly for anyone who doesn't shoot IBO events in the region. You surely missed an unbelievable event. 

  I shot with Jacob, Rob LeLacheur, Chris Hartley and Barry Gates. This was the most fun I've had on a 3D course in as long as I've shot. I'm not sure I've experienced anything that can compare. It's always good to be able to shoot with great shooters to see what you can learn from different people. Everyone's contributions to the day helped me in one way or another. There were three pros in the group who all represented different pro classes. That was kinda cool, and I'm glad I got to experience that. 




   I was unsure about using the bow I used for this event, but I also could't ignore how well it held and shot the night before. It was almost too good to be true. As I made my way through the course, I realized that I can aim the bow really well, but I have to work a little harder to make a good shot with it than I do with the bow I've been using. In case anyone is wondering, I switched from the Tempest E 3D to the Veracity 35. Change can be difficult, but you'll never figure out if things can be better if you don't change it up now and then. I'll probably use the Veracity 35 next weekend in Franklin and see how it does under a little pressure. You never know for certain until you get in the game. That's when you hope you can make solid contact and rip a few line drives up the middle or get lucky and hit one out of the park. You never know until game time. 

  This course tested my ability to shoot targets that were set with hidden yardage, and it tested all of my skills. I felt good at the end of the day, but I feel like I left a lot of points on the course that weren't due to my yardage judging. I will continue working on that part of my game to get it where it needs to be. Overall, I shot really well, and when I missed double digits, I didn't miss by much. 

  Throughout the day, we talked about many different pros on the national tours and discussed the ones who are best to follow and the ones who could disappear and not be missed. Sometimes it gets difficult to know who is who in conversation due to people having similar names or bow sponsors, so we found a way to give code names to make sure we were all on the same page and didn't get people confused. We all agreed that some people are impossible to take seriously, some are overbearing, some just do their thing and help everyone, and others seek nonstop attention. During the course of our conversations, we came up with easy-to-remember names. Mike and Ike seem to be the easiest names to remember. Mike is from Monsters Inc.  and Ike just kind of fit into the conversation. These two fictional pros know everything.



  Today when Jacob and I went to shoot, Jacob demonstrated what real pros should do when he held court with a bunch of up-an-coming archers from the Exit Archery team that is run by Aron Stevenson. He took a lot of time out of his day to give these kids some advice on many different things. I appreciated the time he spent doing it because many others would never offer their time or help. He's falling into his role as one of the best pros on tour, and it is always a pleasure to watch him perfect his craft. There's nothing better than watching someone who is one of the best at his craft. Although you can become numb to it because you see it all the time, I realize how difficult it is to remain there. His dedication to archery is what draws me to him. I have always had the same dedication, and that's what makes it so easy to appreciate. These people are rare, and I've met very few people who share the same passion and desire. I've always tried to give back, even if I don't have much to give. I feel that it is my responsibility to share the things I've learned over the years. I'll never be considered a world-class professional, but I feel fortunate to have been able to compete at the highest level while gaining the respect of all of my peers and finding a little bit of success on the trail. I will never fail due to lack to effort or dedication. 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment