Monday, June 13, 2022

Massachusetts IBO State Championship

 

  I had a fantastic week of practice. All my numbers were spot on, and my shot was taking shape nicely. I changed the length of the connector quite a few times on my release to try to get it to feel better at full draw. Finally, I felt confident with where I set it on Friday morning. My aim felt steady, and my shots broke effortlessly from 50 yards, as I kept 11 out of 12 arrows in the white on a 5-spot. After doing that, I put the bow in my case and called it a day. I would wait until the next day to see how the bow would perform on an actual 3D course. 

  I left the house at 5:45 to get Jacob in Clifton Park. Dad chose not to go because his eyes are so bad he can't see the target at all. His first eye will get done this Wednesday. Hopefully, he will be able to see the targets better and have more fun while shooting. I give him a lot of credit for sticking do it during this trying time. I'm not sure if I would've had the will power to do what he has done. 

  On our ride to Conway to participate in the Massachusetts IBO State Championship, we had all we could handle with the twisty roads. My McDonald's Sausage McMuffin didn't settle well during the ride. When we finally reached the club, both of us were nauseous, and my stomach was shot. 

 After getting out of the car and shooting a few practice arrows, I realized it was going to be one of those days where I would struggle mightily to get any type of steadiness in my sight picture. I couldn't hold the bow to save my life, so I tried accepting it and going with the flow. I wasn't sure what was causing the unsteady sight picture, but I'd be willing to bet that my four-mile hike through the mountains the night before probably led to the issue. I collected trail cameras from last fall, and my backpack was loaded with cameras and other junk, so it put a strain on my shoulders as I was bushwhacking my way to and from the vehicle. If that's not what caused the issue, it was most likely a combination of the ride and four hours of sleep. 

            The First Half

  We actually started on the second half, and our first target was a leopard. It was a great to start the day. It was about 35 yards but the set of the target made it extremely difficult to come up with a number that made me confident. When I drew the bow, I quickly settled into the kill zone. The pin was a little shaky, but I pulled until the shot fired. The arrow found its way into the 10-ring, landing about 1/2 inch out of the 11 on the left side. I felt good about the start.

  As we picked our way through the next few targets, I made a perfect shot on a boar and hit it just above the 11-ring. I managed to record my first 11 of the day on a Dahl sheep, but I barely got it. When we made our way out into a small field and spotted the long, uphill mt. lion, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy target to lead off. When I hit full draw, I couldn't see a thing through my scope. I had to let down and ask Barry to hold an umbrella. I couldn't tell where the glare was coming from, but it was so bad I couldn't see anything other than evergreen trees. The umbrella ended up helping, and I was able to break a good shot and hit a liner 10 at 5 o'clock. I was extremely happy to get off from that target without dropping any points. That one was a difference maker in my mind. 

  Going to the next target, I saw that we would be shooting at a coyote. It immediately stuck out as one of those targets that shooters needed to capitalize on. Going last, I had good aiming marks, and I held a hair too long, causing the arrow to hit an inch to the right of the 11-ring. Fortunately, I was able to come back from that target and make great shots on the antelope and standing bear that followed, centering the bear. 

  I gained momentum after those two targets and felt confident with my numbers and my shot. However, the confidence wasn't coming from my hold. My hold was becoming concerning, as the pin was bouncing all around the 10-rings and out into the 8-rings. I can't remember being that unsteady in a long time, if ever. Mentally, I accepted the float (like a rowboat floating in the ocean float) and tried to ignore all of the movement. It made it extremely difficult to commit to the shots and stay strong, but I did my best to do just that. 

  When we hit murderer's row, beginning with the spike buck down the grass road at the top of the field, I made one of my best shots of the day. I was rewarded with an inside-out 11. Looking at the next target, the black bear, I wasn't pleased to know that I would be leading it off. I could barely see the target with my eyes, so I knew it would be even worse when I drew the bow back. We were shooting from a field into the woods, and the bear was uphill and in some heavy timber. 

  I drew a few times and couldn't see the target. Finally, I decided to come up the leg, move to the right once I got to the body and go up about seven inches and pull. So that's what I did, and the guys erupted when the arrow found its way into the center of the 11-ring. I probably couldn't have done it again, so I took the luck and turned around and sat on my stool. 

  Moving along to the next target, I saw that it was a bomb of an uphill brown bear. In my mind there was no doubt it was 50 yards... maybe more. Being the last shooter, I watched Barry, TJ Mitchell, and Jacob all hit it low. Having shot with Jacob enough to know we tend to see yardage the same, I gave my sight a few clicks to make sure I wouldn't go low too. A few seconds later, I walked away with an 11, thankful that I was the last shooter, which allowed me to listen to two bows. 

  I barely missed the last two targets of the first half, hitting the Big 10 just right of the 11 and fallow deer less than 1/2 inch below it. I was very close to rattling off one heck of an impressive score. Considering the unsteadiness of my sight picture, I felt fortunate enough to clean the first half and pick up quite a few 11s. I looked forward to the second half. 

   Second Half

  As we were strolling down the road to begin the second half, we met a few groups and decided to chat with all of them for a few minutes. Finally, we made it to the first target of our second half. Looking at the grazing doe down a slight hill and across a small stream, the number stuck out. Instantly I knew it was about 40-41 yards. I set my sight and drew my bow. I knew I would smoke it. 

  When the pin made its way to the middle of the 10-ring, the problems I had been encountering all day jumped on my back with a vengeance. The inability to hold the bow steady made itself known on that target and wouldn't let up. I fought through it like I had for the previous 15 targets, but I let the shot get a little long, and it fired when the pin was bouncing up and down. Instantly, I knew it wasn't going to be good... and it wasn't. 

  Anyone who knows me knows I'm the king of letting down. I won't shoot a shot if the shot isn't setting up the way I like it. However, this shot fired right around the time when I had to make a choice. I accepted the low arrow and moved to the next target. I had made 15 good shots in a row, so I just laughed it off and moved forward. There was no sense in getting riled up over something that happens to every 3D shooter on the planet. 

  When I got to the next target, it was an awesome set. A standing grizzly was behind a blowdown, and nothing could be seen below its waist. As we waited to shoot it, we chatted with Ted and Sara Kay before they headed to the next target. 

  After the rest of the guys in my group peppered the bear with arrows, I couldn't wait for my turn. I decided to change releases to see if my issues with holding the bow still would improve. When I anchored with the new release, it felt foreign. The shot fired and the arrow went high and right. I put the release back in my chair and took out the horse that I rode in on. I would finish the day with the release with which I started. 

  Although the day had gone well on the score card, my hold was unnerving me. I simply couldn't hold the bow still, but I stuck with my shot from start to finish and made the best shot I could make at every station. The results told me I was making good shots and motion was correction, just as Tim Strickland told me many years ago when I saw him for some coaching. He told me if I couldn't hold the bow well to just continue through the shot and the sight would always correct itself back to the middle. That's what trusting your shot is all about. 

  I didn't encounter any anxiety until the target after the standing grizzly. Some demons began crawling through my melon and poking the tender skin near my temples. I refused to acknowledge them and let them pass through just as they appeared. Many people give the demons attention, and they feed themselves with it. They grow and increase in numbers. Suddenly, they have strength in numbers, and you're doing everything you can to get rid of them. I've always learned that if you're friendly with the demons and let them know you will not succumb to their beckoning, you will get to where you want to go. 

  The next few shots were tough mentally, but I held on and found one of the reasons why I was having a difficult time holding well. My bow arm had become a little soft, and I was not increasing any pressure on the front end. My muscles were becoming too involved, and my bone structure was not being given the ability to hold the bow on its own. I quickly made the adjustment and got back on track. 

  We cruised through the rest of the course, and I missed many 11s by less than an inch to the left or the right. I could've ran a huge 11 count, but I wasn't complaining about the 10 I did get. I figured 1/3 of them on that course was pretty good. 


     My Take on the Day




  I had an enjoyable day and had great company. Once again, Jacob went on a tear in the second half and shot 11s on almost every target for the last 10 targets. It's always impressive to watch him shoot. He makes it look effortless. I have a feeling he's on the edge of going on one of those streaks at the right time. Nobody works harder than him, and his work has shown up almost every time we've shot together this year. I'm excited for how the rest of the summer will play out. It will be fun to watch. Jacob makes all of us better, and we are all privileged that he is just a regular guy without an attitude, yet he can compete with the best of the best in the world. His excellence brings our entire region to a different level, and I'm thankful for that. He has made me better.

  I got to shoot with TJ Mitchell for the first time. TJ was attentive and was pleasant to shoot with. I also believe he said he shot his highest score or one of his highest. That always makes me feel good if someone can improve while shooting with me. I tried to give TJ a few tips on judging along the way, and he seems like he is willing to learn. He has also made plans to work on his shooting with a coach in August when he has the time to put into it. It will be fun to watch him progress. 

  I also shot with Barry Gates. No shooter works harder than Barry, and he shoots a great shot when things are going well. Every once in a while the train comes off the tracks but not too often. Barry had a rough day and got frustrated. We can all learn from Barry's frustrations. We have to remember that none of us can ever be perfect, and we all shoot because we enjoy shooting. That's the most important thing to remember while competing, and it can be tough to separate at times. We all have some brutally bad days, and we have to learn to smile and keep plugging. I've always tried to approach people with the same attitude at shoots. I don't want people to be able to tell if I shot my best -- or worst -- score ever. I want the same look on my face, and I don't want my mood to be affected by a result on the score card. After all, nobody but yourself remembers how you shot a week later. 

  I feel prepared for the Second Leg of the National IBO Triple Crown. I've seen a fair number of targets, and I think my shot is a little better than it was about a month ago. I'll go to the tournament and see what happens. I'll be shooting with a great group of guys, as I believe we will be grouped according to the scores from the first leg. Three of us in the group used to shoot together in peer groups in MBO and SPM about 25 years ago. It's amazing that all three of us are still at it and are able to do as well as we did back then. 

  If anyone is headed to the event, I wish you luck, and I'll see you on the range.


No comments:

Post a Comment