Sunday, May 1, 2022

Pennsylvania IBO State Championship



 It wasn't until Thursday when I decided to gather a group and head five hours south to Pennsylvania to try our hand at the Pennsylvania IBO State Championship. I had heard a lot of great things about the club hosting it, Cushion Peak, and decided to go since it would be my last chance to shoot a 3D event before heading to West Virginia for the First Leg of the National IBO Triple Crown in three weeks. 

  Once again, it was impossible to get any decent practice in over the last week. The temperatures are still hanging in the 30 to 50-degree range and the wind didn't slow to below 20 mph one time last week. It has taught me to never take the weather for granted. I've spent the last month trying to get two solid days of practice in to figure out what needed to be done to the bow to achieve the most forgiveness out of it, but I'm still waiting on the weather. 

  Originally, my dad thought he would make he trip, but after a trip to the eye doctor, we got to the bottom of his accuracy issues this spring: he cannot see what he's shooting at. The cataracts in his eyes have made it impossible for him to achieve any type of stable visibility, making it impossible to hit in the same place regularly. His heart has been set on the National Senior Games in Florida in a few weeks, but it doesn't appear that he will be able to have surgery in time for the games. Instead, he will strap on his warrior helmet and fight until the end, although he will not be bringing his A-game, B-Game or C-game.

                                                 The Trip to Pennsylvania

  I rolled out of bed around 4:00 a.m. and headed to Saratoga to pick up Jeff. After getting him, we got Jacob in Clifton Park and began our trek. The roads were relatively clear of traffic and we made good time, arriving at the shoot location around 9:45. When we stepped out of the car, we were greeted with a clear blue sky and actual green plants. We figured that could be an issue since none of us have seen any greenery yet. 

  When we starting flinging arrows at the target butt, I felt confident when the arrows in both of my groups were all touching. It's amazing what can happen when you shoot in calm conditions. It actually boosted my confidence a little bit before heading onto the range. Although I shot a few good groups, Jeff seemed to be hitting to the left but decided not to move his sight. 

  Walking down the road to the first target, it didn't take long to see that we would be starting our day on a caribou. After a 5-hour drive and eight practice arrows, it felt good to know that our first target wouldn't be that bad.

  After the cards were scrambled and drawn, I quickly learned that I would be the third shooter. Jacob led off by smoking the 11, and Jeff followed with an 8 to the left. His stabilizer had come loose on the bottom of his bow, and he found it resting against the string after the shot. When I settled into my shot, it felt great. The pin drifted to the middle and I executed my best shot of the spring. The arrow landed inside out in the 11-ring... I was off to a good start. 

  The second target was the standing grizzly, and the number stuck out to me, but the low, green vegetation made me question the number even though I knew I had a good one. My arrow found its way into the 10-ring, and I felt confidence building due to the ability to execute two good shots in a row. 

  Making our way to the third target, I could see a gobbling turkey and knew I had to lead it off. Turkeys have never bothered me after making them my favorite target many years ago. I used to piss and moan about turkeys in the old days because I always shot them poorly. Over the years, I knew if I made them my favorite target, I would get better at shooting them, and that is definitely what happened. 

  I held to the left of the black stripe in the 10-ring and executed another good shot. The arrow struck near the bottom of the 10-ring, and I knew it had a chance. However, after Jacob shot his arrow, it slid down the top of mine and gave me no chance of pulling a line. It might have had a small chance before his arrow struck the target but none afterward. Moving along after scoring the arrows, I felt good about my start. After all, that arrow was close, and a gobbling turkey isn't an official target on national ranges. 

  As we picked our way through the rest of the first 10 targets, I began gaining confidence in my shooting. When we got to the eighth target, I saw a hogzilla. Jeff made a good shot to lead it off, and the arrow landed at 6 o'clock in the 10-ring. 

  When I began aiming at it, I think his nock drew me to it. Although I thought I was holding higher, I'm not sure if that's what really happened. My arrow struck the target directly below his arrow, and I walked away with an 8. Jacob's arrow hit right next to mine, and we were both sure we had a good number. Walking away from the target, I tucked the experience in my back pocket and moved forward. 

  When we got to the 10th target, I spotted a coyote down the hill. I made a great shot and blew it out the top of the 10-ring. It was my first bad number of the day. Looking at the card after 10, I felt good about where I stood. I had a 96 with a few 11s and two of the 8s were on targets that aren't in the official lineup of national targets. First 10 = confidence builder = success. 

                                                    Second 10

    When we walked down the road to start our second 10, I began feeling an attitude creep out of the depths of the my soul. I've never been a fan of novelty-type shots. I don't think they have a place in actual tournaments. Yes, they are fun for your average bowhunters and crowds who go to 3Ds to have fun, but they're not fun for me and never have been. Who knows... maybe I need to take the same approach I took with turkeys many years ago when I come across these shots in the future. 

  Jeff had to lead off the first target of the second 10, and it was a mountain lion that was set up in an old tree platform that was used at one time for elevated shots. It wasn't a shot you would ever come across at a national event due to the danger that a set like that can create. So before I shot at the target, I was already irritated and let it distract me from running my normal program. 

  Skipping the steps and ignoring the fact I did it, I drew the bow and settled onto the vitals of the mountain lion. Seconds later, I heard a loud noise and thought I had missed the target. The arrow stuck just under the core and smashed the plastic that holds the core in place. Now, my blood began to boil.

Making my way down the trail to the next target, I knew I had to lead it off. It was a bomb of a brown bear, and it was straight downhill. I did something that I NEVER do at these shoots. I looked at the other stakes and didn't really estimate the distance to the target. I just set my sight according to the other stakes and once again skipped all the steps in my process. The result wasn't good and I went on an 8 streak that I didn't think would end. 

  By the time I put an end to the streak, I had dropped 19 points because of being irritated. I might have misjudged one or two in there, but most of them were more than likely because I got sidetracked and didn't run the process. There was also a lot of nasty terrain we encountered in that stretch and Jacob and I both learned we needed to shorten our draw lengths a hair to be more comfortable on hills and be able to execute better shots. 

  The last 10 seemed to bring me back to my normal shooting, and I ran a long streak of 10s before finally shooting an 8 on a strutting turkey, as my arrow hit just over the 10-ring. I had no problem accepting that. The next target was a long, uphill Big 10 and it had a really steep angle on it for the distance. We all hit it barely out of the 10 to the right, and I hit exactly where my pin was when the shot fired. Here are Jeff and Jacob finishing their day on the white goat.





  We ended our day on a white goat. I made a great shot, and the arrow landed just under the 11. I could walk to the car with my head held high. Somehow, I survived one of the worst scoring rounds I've shot in a long time and was able to find a few positives: I need to hone in on the draw length and make sure I get it to the spot I need it for shooting on uneven terrain, and I need to work on staying focused at these shoots. 



                                                    Thoughts on the Day

  I'm glad I spent 10 hours in a car for the day. This was one of the better shoots I've ever attended as far as getting ready for a national goes. It was tough but fair, and it tested every skill a 3D archer needs to succeed. Unfortunately, it tested my ability to stay focused after letting little things irritate me, and I flunked that part of the test. If I throw that part out, I consider the day a success. I still don't have a 3D bow where I want it, but I'm hoping to gain ground on that this week. Time is getting shorter by the day to have this stuff ready and shooting at the level I consider acceptable. I'm just not there yet. I'm praying for better weather this week. I'd love to get three days in a row without 25 mph sustained winds. 

  Traveling to shoots like that is fun when you're with good friends whom you respect. We get to share a lot of stories about life in general, and we also get to talk about archery. I'm not sure I'll be writing on here until I finish the National Senior Games in Florida in a few weeks. Hopefully, things go smoothly on our trip. 

  Although Saturday didn't give me a pretty scorecard, it gave me hope that I might be able to perform while dealing with the incredibly difficult shoulder issues I've been battling. I had streaks of brilliance in this shoot, and I proved to myself that I can hold my own on a really tough course if I stay mentally focused. There are going to be a lot of bumpy patches this summer, but I'm ready for them. Father Time is undefeated, and he has a way of stepping into our physical abilities and hindering them. Hopefully, he's just giving me a gentle warning and not taking out his sickle. I'm not ready to battle the archery reaper quite yet.


------------------------> quitters never win and winners never quit........I'll keep grinding------->


              



No comments:

Post a Comment