Sunday, April 17, 2022

The 2022 3D Season is Underway

 



  Well, the windy days that have been filled with cold spurts of rain have signified that 3D season is upon us in the Northeast. I know many of you who follow this blog every year are probably wondering where I was for most of the indoor tournaments throughout the winter, as I only shot in a few of the many that others attended. 

  Unlike every previous year I’ve shot, I didn’t hang the bow up after the 3D season ended. With nice weather extending into November, I shot my bow regularly until the end of October. I worked on many things, including trying to shoot with significantly more holding weight. When I finally hung it up for the season and headed into the woods, I felt good about where I left things.

  Then, January rolled in, and I considered going to the Lancaster Archery Classic. Unfortunately, when I returned to shooting, I experienced a great deal of pain in my shoulders and in the elbow of my bow arm. Instead of admitting the truth to others about the discomfort, I tried finding a way to work through it and used a host of other excuses for my shooting, which was considerably less desirable than normal. I had lost the ability to hold the bow still, but I continued trying to fight through the complications and make it work.

  As the winter wore on, I realized I wasn’t going to find any magic in the bottle and decided I better at least show my face in a few places I show up every year to shoot. That’s when I decided to shoot at the Straight Arrow Invitational and the New England Indoor Open on the same weekend, which probably wasn’t one of my better choices. 

  I only shot a few arrows the week prior to those events because I knew I would need fresh arms and shoulders. I ended up shooting a 297/300 with 18xs at the Straight Arrow shoot. I was pleased because I shot well. Although I shot three 9s, I shot two in one end because I lost focus and was talking instead of paying attention to shooting. I considered that day a success. I had a winning performance.

  The next day treated me just as well, as I shot a 578/600 on inner-10 scoring, with the winner shooting a 584. With as much as the winners had put into their shooting all winter, I felt I held my own, especially being over 50 years old and competing against younger guys. Inner-10 scoring events make it easy to fall off the map and still shoot well. Unfortunately, I pounded the normal 10 ring but didn’t get lucky enough to catch Xs on many of them. I was close to shooting a stellar scoring round. I had a winning performance, even if my scorecard didn’t show it. I had to settle for a 3rd place finish.

  I participated in those two events to get ready for the NY State Championship and Classic and the Mid-Atlantic Sectionals. I wanted to be prepared for those events. When the week of the state shoot rolled in, I had all I could do to draw my bow and aim it, let alone execute a good shot, but I sucked it up and went to the events anyway. 

  In the practice area, I knew it wasn’t going to go well, as I could not hold the bow steady at all. The pin barely stayed in the yellow on the Vegas target, so I knew I would just have to go shoot my shots and score them where they landed.  When the day was done, I tallied up the points and realized I had shot the worst score I’ve ever shot in a Vegas tournament. I stared blankly at the top of the card… 439. I’ll be the first to tell you how hard that is to swallow when you’re not used to shooting a score remotely close to that. I didn’t let it bother me because I knew the battle I was facing at that point. I handed the card in and went on my way. I’ve always laughed at the people who don’t hand their cards in because they didn’t live up to their own expectations. Funny, a guy in my class did that at the state shoot. He can hand in his card when he shoots well, but he quits or doesn’t hand it in when he shoots poorly. I hope I never turn into that guy. The sad part is that he is a good shooter but can’t handle shooting poorly. I’m not sure I’ve ever witnessed anyone who displays such poor sportsmanship in archery.

  The next day at the State Classic, I had a similar round. I shot the lowest score on a 5-spot that I can remember shooting in the last 20 years, shooting a 300 50X. On the way home, I decided I would not shoot in the Mid-Atlantic Sectional. My body wasn’t allowing me to hold well enough to shoot well, and I was struggling to get through rounds. 

  When the sectionals drew near, I changed my decision and figured I would give it a whirl. With 3D season bearing down on me, I wanted to get some shooting in under pressure, so I could ready my nerves for the tournaments this summer. I signed up and there was no looking back.

  I got out of the starting block in good fashion, cleaning the first game. I briefly lost my concentration on the first end of the second game and dropped a few Xs. Letting that end bother me, I dropped another X on the first arrow of the next end. I cruised from there and dropped two more Xs. Under the circumstances this winter, that was a good round for me. I shot 55Xs. Although it wasn’t a winning performance, it was a podium finish. Unfortunately, there was (I think) a three or four-way tie for third, and I was the last of those shooters. I’m not sure how the ties were broken, but not dropping an X until the fifth end, I still find it hard to believe that all of the shooters who won the tie-breaker over me did the same. I’m guessing the ties were not broken by the first X dropped as is usually the case.

 

                                                    The Beginning of 3D Season

   With indoors behind me, I headed outside. I’ve shot a few 3D events and have shot a different bow at every one of them, trying to figure out which bow I’m going to run. Currently, I expect to run my PSE Supra RTX to start the year. I’ve done a lot of experimenting to figure out how I can somehow hold the bow well enough to score well. My bow is set at 55lbs at 75% let-off, and I’m shooting Easton SuperDrive arrows. I’ve tried a lot of different setups, but I’m going to head into the season with the bow as it sits right now. I’m shooting a 27’ Conquest bar on the front with 4 1/3 ounces and I’m shooting a 12’ bar on the back with 11 ounces. I’ll probably have the lightest bow of anyone in my class, but I’m doing it in hopes of finding away around the problems I’ve run into. My shoulders may have run their course. I guess I’ll find out as the year progresses. Hopefully, it won’t be my last dance, but if it is, I will know I gave everything I had to figure it out.

  Tentatively, I have a busy season planned. These last few weeks have been extremely tough. I’m trying to prepare for two events at the same time, and I’m not sure which event I should focus on the most. I never like heading into anything unprepared, but too much of one and not enough of the other could lead to something I could have avoided if I just decided to focus on one of them. 

  So, you might be wondering what I’m focusing on, and I’ll be glad to share. I’ve found a way to make time for both, but it leaves absolutely no spare time. I usually get out of work in the 2 o’clock hour, so I head outside to practice 3D. After shooting anywhere from 20-30 targets, I get out my other bow and shoot six-arrow practice ends at the target face I will be shooting at the National Senior Games. I don’t focus on score, as the score will take care of itself if I execute good shots. The 900 round is a marathon, and the weather conditions make it merely impossible to think you’re not going to miss. This takes a lot of the pressure off, making it easier to stay relaxed and focus on making good shots. 

  Although I’ve chosen to approach these events in this manner, I’m doing what I believe will give me the best chance to succeed in both venues. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.            

                                                                   Sponsors

  Nothing has changed from the last few years with my choice of bows. I will be representing PSE Archery for the year. My current intentions are to run the Supra platform of bows. I’m still not 100% sure which bow I’ll spend the most time behind, but I’m thinking it will probably be Bluey, my Supra RTX. 




   Due to my shoulder problems, I will continue shooting low poundage, and the bows are set near 55lbs. This limits my arrow choices because I need a lightweight arrow to get enough speed to be competitive. I have Easton SuperDrive 23s set up, and I’m using the .475 and .375 spined arrows. The .475s will be used for IBO and the .375s will be used for ASA. I’ll be around 297 fps for IBO and about 288 for ASA.

  I’ll be using TruBall sights and releases. Although I’m going to start the season with the TruBall Execute wrist strap, I may end up shooting a handheld before the year is out. I’ll be shooting a TruBall HBC Flex at the National Senior games, as I believe that release works the best off the bow I’m shooting for that event. 

  I’m using Shrewd scopes with Feather Vision lenses. I’m still trying to figure out if I want to use a 3, 4 or 5X. I’ve used a 3X regularly over the last few years, but I’m not sure my eyes can handle that much longer. I just can’t see the spot I want to hit as well as I’ve been able to see it in the past. I’ll also have Conquest bars on my bow, and the lengths tend to vary on a weekly basis. 

                                                                    Absolute Aid




 

  With the issues I’ve encountered, I had to find something to relieve the uncomfortableness in my shoulders and arms. I guess they were right when they said the aches and pains stick around when you get older. Although I still think I’m 30, I need to be more realistic about it. 

  Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting James Appleton from Lake Placid, N.Y., as he contacted me about being a guest on his “The 46 of 46 Podcast.” I graciously accepted because I love the Adirondacks and everything about them, whether it’s the hiking, fishing, hunting, canoeing, or the exploring that can be found there. 

  One morning, he met me at my parents’ place to get some insight on his archery. Surprisingly, he had great form for never having any formal instruction. I was impressed. His kindness and generosity make him a likeable person, and I’m honored to be involved with anything he might be doing. He’s the real deal and is a great human being. He’s the kind of guy who others should desire to become, and his enthusiasm inspires me. 

  Over the course of the last few months, we have discussed getting Absolute Aid into the archery and hunting arena. That’s when I decided I would join his efforts as an ambassador to promote the product and the business. Who doesn’t want to help good people grow their business, especially if it can help us too?

  I’m currently taking the CBD pain cream for my shoulders. It’s a rub-on cream that I put on my shoulders to make the nonstop pain subside after I’m done shooting or in the morning when I wake up. Being a skeptic to anything like this, I was hesitant at first. However, after using it, I now look forward to shooting because the product alleviates the pain. While it doesn’t totally get rid of it, I can see a noticeable difference in what I feel. 

Besides the pain cream, there are other supplements you can get that could help in all areas of your lives. The name of the products makes it easy for you to get exactly what you’re looking for. The items available are Calm, Focus, Relief, and Sleep. The supplements should help you in those areas, so if you need to have more focus, you should get the Focus product. If you need help sleeping, you should get the Sleep product. 

  The best thing about the Absolute Aid company is the message they are trying to spread. The message is quite clear, too. We should all seek to do more, whether it involves setting goals and going after them or if it involves introducing others to the things we enjoy. We should all try to do things to encourage others to be better. I’d love for all of you to support this company and Seek To Do More!!




  Now, it’s time to hit the range and see what happens. I’m looking forward to the coming weeks. I can’t wait to see many of the members of my archery family during my travels. The shooting will be what it is and soon be forgotten, but the friendships I’ve made will continue to prosper and bring me more great memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4z0_DE02c


------------------------------------------à#SeekToDoMore



No comments:

Post a Comment