Sunday, February 2, 2020

Hudson Falls Smackdown


  My home club decided to try a few different things this year to draw some shooters to the facility. It appears things have gone smoothly so far, as we got a decent turnout for today's Smackdown. We need to make a few improvements for next year to fill the house, and I'm sure after we all meet and discuss things next year before the beginning of indoor season, we will be able to address any issues.

  I haven't updated this in a few weeks. I watched many of you in Lancaster while I sat home and wished I had gone to the event. I did shoot the first leg of the New Hampshire Grand Slam in Keene, NH a few weeks ago. That event went relatively well, all things considered. Before I went to that event, I changed my let-off to 75% from 70%. My aiming seemed better, but my shot wasn't the best. I didn't miss many, but the ones I missed were at 6 o'clock. I think I probably would've gotten most of them if I had more resistance during my shot to make the release fire earlier in my hold. 

  After coming home from that shoot, I hung the bow up and knew it would be a bit before I could shoot again. I went to the doctor's office on the Tuesday before Lancaster. He looked it over and gave me a rundown on things that he thinks may be leading to some of the discomfort I'm experiencing. He injected it with cortisone and told me to rest it for a week and a half to two weeks, then start physical therapy. I will go to therapy tomorrow and see what Kris gives me for exercises to do to get back on track. I'm sure we will figure it out and hopefully see some improvements over time.

  That brings us to today. I decided to shoot a few arrows the last couple of days so I could participate in the Smackdown today to support my home club. I think it's important to support your home club if it hosts and event. The more people who attend, the more people who might come back next year. I was happy with the turnout.

  I practiced well for not having shot too many arrows over the last two weeks. I believe I only missed one 10 during my practice. The pin was holding well, and I felt good about my shooting. Since I got there early, I probably shot too many practice arrows. I should've known better, but things felt better than I had anticipated.

                                                    The Round

  My round started off well, but my shot timing slowed down. I cruised through the first 5 ends and missed one due to a dip bang. I guess you take those when they happen. As the round continued, my shot timing wasn't consistent, and I could feel my body becoming a little weak. It might have been from too much practice, or it could have been from a little anxiety. Overall, I wasn't all the concerned with the events of the day. When the dust settled after the qualification round, I found my way into the dance.

  This tournament a little different than most. The eliminations weren't head to head. Instead, every time there was an elimination, half the field got to take a seat. In the first go-around, I started off great. I shot two 11s and a 10. I followed that up with another 32 in the second end. All of my shots were executed perfectly, and I felt good about everything. 
  
  Going into the third and final end, I was on cruise control. I'd shoot my three arrows and move into the next round. When I drew the first arrow of the round, my sight picture changed for the first time of the day, and I got a little tight. The tightness caused the pin to move more than it had been, and my shot slowed down considerably. I continued doing my thing and shot my arrows. In the last round, I shot two 9s and an 11. I took a seat. I wasn't all that dejected because I've barely shot this year, but I also wasn't happy that I signed my own detention pass, stay after school pass, or whatever you might want to call it. I gave someone a free pass into the next round. It was entirely my own fault. 

  I made seven great shots during my elimination match. They all found their way into the 11-ring.  I couldn't have centered six of them any better than I did, either. That made me feel good about my day. Throughout the round, and definitely in the elimination, I realized that I need to move the stop back into a lower let-off setting. I need the lower let-off to execute a better shot when I'm nervous. I could always get away with it with a limb stop bow, but I can't get away with it on a cable stop bow. I'll be moving the stops before I shoot the next time. Hopefully, I can figure out the most comfortable place to put them. 

                                                 Taking a Step Back

  After taking a seat, I sat back and watched the people shooting. I glanced down the line and was amazed at what I saw on the line in the Hudson Falls Club. Jacob Slusarz was in lane 2. I don't need to tell everyone what he has done, but the first few things that come to mind are the NAA and NFAA Indoor Nationals, where he finished in both of them in the top 4 in the pro class last year. and swept all three legs of the IBO National Triple Crown in SPM. Not much more needs to be said. In lane 3 was Jon Scott, the guy who puts on more miles than anyone I know to shoot indoor target archery in the winter. He always put himself in a place to gain experience under pressure. Everyone has to recognize that and realize why he does it. I'm sure that his travels helped him shoot a 900 in Vegas a few years back in the pro class. That is no easy feat and not many people have done it over the years for as many people that register for the tournament. In lane 4 was Jeff Wagoner, who has come a long way since retiring his finger tab and finger bows, but I believe he might be the only guy who ever won the NY state indoor shoot in the fingers class and the release class. Jeff is always in the running during these elimination shoots. You can never count him out. Then, a few lanes down from him was John Vozzy, who, like Jacob, also found himself in the shootoff in the pro class at the Indoor Nationals a few years ago after shooting 120xs. Glancing at those guys made me appreciate where I live and the guys I be around while shooting. I consider all of them friends, and I know that all of them have done their part in making me better. They drive me to keep at it and get better. It's nice to be able to rub elbows with those guys. 

  I'd just like to wish everyone luck who is going to Vegas. Since Jacob and Jason shot off against each other in the final today and put on a show, I hope they continue down the same road after they find their way to the range out there. I also have to give a shout-out to Jon Purdy, who had a great showing in Lancaster. Great job, Jon. I consider myself lucky to shoot with a lot of great guys every week in our leagues at Hudson Falls. They all push me to keep going and get better.

                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment