Sunday, May 19, 2019

First Leg of IBO National Triple Crown: Being Dumb or Learning a Lesson.........?






  As most people have noticed, I've had a very good 2019 archery season up to this point. Although I've had a few less-than-stellar gigs along the way, most of my performances have been very good. I've finally gotten back to feeling like I can hold my own against any other great Joe out there, providing I just do my thing and shoot my arrows. When competing against the Joes, I know I have a shot, no matter who shows up. I haven't had this type of confidence in a long time, and confidence breeds success. My equipment has been flawless, and my shooting has lined up with my execution.

  So when I came home from Maine a few weeks ago, I knew I had to fix a few equipment issues. The serving broke in two places where my string wraps around my cam. Anyone who knows me knows I hate change. I've never been one who has good luck changing things.

  I set one night aside to go over to George Connors' place so we could BS and work on it together. I always enjoy George's company, and I think it's good to bounce things off each other while working on stuff. George also knows more about Elite tuning and setup than anyone I know.

  We messed around with everything for a couple of hours, but we just couldn't get the bow to feel like it did before we made the changes. Of course, I'm probably the only one this ever happens to besides Chuck. My shooting is super sensitive to any type of change, and that one fact has not been beneficial to me over the years. I'm a feel type shooter, and I need the same type of feel to build confidence.

  After going home and shooting it for a few days, I just couldn't get the bow to feel the same. Knowing the first leg of the IBO National Triple Crown was in a few weeks, I figured I could get it back and be all ready to roll. As the week raced by, I finally gave up and decided I would not make the trip to West Virginia. I don't like going places when I'm not confident in my equipment, and I had absolutely no confidence in my equipment. After all, I figured I had nothing to prove so not going to the shoot wouldn't be any big deal.

  When I visited my dad on Tuesday evening, he said he wanted to go to the shoot. I love my dad and  enjoy spending every minute I can with him. I would never pass down an opportunity to go on a road trip with him to participate in an archery tournament, even if I didn't have a lot of confidence. So I raced home to see if I could figure something out.

  That's when I decided to break out my hunting bow -- the old reliable bow that has killed a lot of big buck and won some indoor and outdoor archery tournaments. Everyone knows I don't use drop-away arrow rests for any type of target shooting, but I had no choice because that bow had one on it. I quickly unscrewed my sight off the bow I had been working on and screwed it onto the camo bow.

  After sighting in the bow quickly, I shot a few groups of arrows from 40 and 45 yards. When you go from stacking arrows like the picture on the left at the beginning of this to the group on the right, it doesn't do much for your confidence, especially when every group was like the one on the left. I couldn't do anything wrong with that bow before I made the changes. I figured that after a few days with the camo bow, I would be ready to roll. I've always had confidence with it, and I know I can perform under pressure with it.

  I went to my dad's house on Thursday after work to shoot some targets. Everything went really well, and I felt good about my chances. Before packing the bow up and heading home, I shot three groups of six arrows, one from 60, 50 and 40 yards respectively. I only missed one on the 122cm face, and the arrows were stacked on top of each other............I was ready...........even though I had some doubt lingering in the back of my mind.

                                                           The Trip to West Virginia

  I worked for half a day on Friday before heading out. My dad picked me up around 10:30 and we got on the road. The first half of the trip wasn't too bad, but the second part of the trip was like a Walmart parking lot on the highway. It was wall-to-wall traffic moving at a high rate of speed, which wreaked havoc on my stomach. Traveling always messes my stomach up due. The anxiety and nerves that come with driving plays havoc on my system. It's never a good thing, and it usually takes a few weeks to recover after the trip.

  We finally got to the motel around 11 p.m. It was a dive, but for $66 a night, we couldn't complain. After all, we would only be sleeping there for a few hours. Neither one of us slept wall. I had issues with my legs all night, and I also continued battling dizzy spells that began earlier in the day. The dizzy spells worried me because I didn't know what was causing them. My blood sugar was fine.

                                                            On the Range

    We got to the range at 7 a.m. and got registered for the event. I exchange pleasantries with Bryan Marcum, the president of the IBO, before heading to the range. At the practice bales, there weren't many people. I saw my friend Bob Warren and talked with him for a while. I met him about 25 years ago at an IBO event, his first IBO ever at Mountain Trail Bowhunters. Sean Rice was with me and both of us were in the top peer group at the IBO National Triple Crown that year. When we got there, we realized that Sean had forgotten his sight, so we taped some pins onto his riser, and he shot the course that way. Bob still talks about that today. Sean lit it up with taped pins on his bow.........taped with scotch tape. If Sean had continued shooting, he would probably be on the pro tour. It was always a  pleasure to watch him shoot. He worked hard at it and was good at it. I'm glad I had the ability to bring him places when he was a kid.

  After firing a few practice arrows, seven to be exact, I was ready to get on the course. I saw two guys walk to the tent in front of me and figured if I rushed to the tent, I would be able to get in a group. The range officials grouped us together and sent us on our way. There were three of us, and two of us where going to try to shoot all 40 targets. One of the guys was from West Virginia, and one was from Pennsylvania. One was shooting in my class, and the other was shooting in MSR.

  It was a long walk to the first target. As odd as it sounds, I wasn't mentally into being there. I'm not sure if my mind was somewhere else or if I was just tired from the lack of sleep and long trip the day before. When we got to the first target, I could see that it was an antelope. It was a good set and had some yardage on it. It wasn't going to be an easy one to start on.

  The guy in MSR went first. I always watch people in my group shoot their first arrow and usually never watch them shoot again. I want to know if people properly execute shots. If someone properly executes a shot, I know he might put up a big number. Although people who don't execute good do shoot good scores, it's usually more of a rarity.

  The MSR guy kickstarted his trigger and sent the arrow on its way toward the antelope. Looking at the arrow with my binoculars, I could see it clearly in the middle of the 11.  I quickly got a number, dialed my sight, drew my bow and settled in. The pin sat nicely just right of where the white ended and a hair above it, but my pin hotdogged and I could see two pins, both blurry. That's an issue with aging eyes. Sometimes the pin looks great, and other times, it doesn't remotely resemble a pin. As the pin sat nicely in the 11, my shot broke cleanly. The arrow struck less than a half inch above the 11. My first shot was awesome. After loading it, transferring into my back and expanding, it was instantly gone...............aiming solid.........pow..............perfect. Old reliable was on its mark. The bow was going to work just fine.

  Walking to the next target, I knew it was one on which I needed to shoot an 11. Leading it off, I didn't have a good aiming reference, and the arrow hit behind the pin, again just barely missing the 11. Ok, I'm executing good shots and seeing yardage well. When I got to the next target, a mountain lion across a ravine, it was a muddy mess. The footing wasn't good due to the amount of mud on the side hill, but the shot didn't look too bad. I broke another good shot and the arrow hit high, barely out of the 10-ring. As I walked to the next target, the Big 10 buck, I felt really good about it. The distance stuck out to me, and I figured it was a no-doubter. I fought the shot a little bit before it broke, which caused me to hit low. It wanted to be in at 6 o'clock, but the less than 1/4 of an inch wouldn't allow it.
After pulling my arrow and walking to the next target, I could hear the guys in my group talking about the target I was about to see. When I got to the stake, I took a look at it and realized it wasn't exactly what I wanted to be looking at after just shooting two 8s by the skin of my teeth. Looking down the hill and across the valley, I saw a coyote that looked like a red squirrel. It was definitely a difference maker. The number stuck out to me when I looked at it..............long. When I hit full draw, the pin locked on the black spot on top of the 11 ring, and I relaxed while pulling. The shot broke perfectly and landed in the center of the center of the 11. After pulling my arrow from that target, the wheels began falling off the bus. I hit low on a long wolf, barely under the 10, within 1/2 inch, so now, I had three 8s that didn't add up to more than 3/4 of an inch off the 10-ring.

  After smoking a bedded doe on a hill, I came upon a turkey down a roadway. It was on flat ground on the bottom of a hill. I love turkeys. I know that I will almost always gain points on people on turkeys. I usually stay in the 10 on them and that's tough to do for most people. I enjoy it when I see them. Unfortunately, I didn't like seeing the turkey on this day. The bow just didn't seem to be that forgiving as compared to the bow I had been shooting up until the week prior.

  Being the last shooter on the turkey, I got a good feel for things. When my pin settled on it, I once again had a hard time seeing the pin, as it turned into a hotdog and two pins. I let down and readjusted my light to see if I could fix it. When I settled in the second time, I couldn't get a good feel for it, so I let down. I ended up letting down again, and I knew it had to go on my fourth one. As I got into he hold, it got a little long. When the shot broke, I figured it might catch right-side 10. When I saw the arrow strike the target, I wanted to crawl in a hole. The arrow was a good eight inches to the right. I quickly learned that the way the bow was set up, I couldn't get away with anything less than a stellar shot, and I paid the price.........dearly. I plodded along and shot a few more 8s before the end of the course, barely missing out the bottom and one out the top. I made two more shots that were not the best shots I've made, and both shots hit to the right, one landing in the 5 and the other landing in the 8.

                                               Sitting Down and Evaluating the First 20

  I could feel the internal rage building inside me. I had made four shots that weren't great shots but certainly weren't horrible and those shots cost me 14 points. I also had a lot of shots that just missed the 11. I figured I should have been about even, but with the black bow, the one I've been shooting, I think I would have been up a ways. I had good numbers for the most part.

  I evaluated things in my head on the walk back to the tent. I thought back to the second leg in Mckean, Pa., in the '90s when I shot 18 up on 20 targets. And a few years back, I shot 13 up on the last 20 at the third leg. Knowing I have that ability, I put the rough start behind me and figured I would give it my best shot because I knew I could make the ground up. I wouldn't get all of it, but I wasn't going backward any longer.

  If anyone wants to know what it felt like, the only thing I could give as a comparison is when a great pitcher is pitching early in the game, and a few errors get committed behind him. He unleashes a great pitch, and a batter golfs it out of the dirt and the ball finds itself barely clearing the wall and landing in the seats. The pitcher is now behind 3-0, but he struck out the side. Now, he just has to see if he can pick his teammates up and keep them in the game, giving them a chance to mount a comeback.

                                                       Staying in the Game

  When I walked up to the first target of my last 20, I could see a really good aiming spot above the 12-ring on a black panther, and when I can see spots to aim at on 3Ds, I usually don't miss. I didn't miss it, either. I stroked it. I broke a clean shot, and it landed perfectly in the center. When I got to the next one, a fallow deer, I could once again see a clear aiming spot. I centered it and executed another great shot. The arrow landed behind the pin...........another 11. I was on my way back. I could feel that 13 or 18 up inside me. Those rounds live inside me, and every once in a while I know I can release
them for all to see. Here's a photo Jake VanHillo took early on in this round. He was in the group in front of me. Thanks for the picture, Jake.



  I plodded through the rest of that course and wasn't able to score another 11. Although I had only gained two points, I hadn't lost any. My shots were clean enough, that I figured I might be able to get six to eight of them on the last 10. Target one of the last 10 stuck out to me like sore them. It was a medium deer down a lane on a side hill. I had a great aiming spot and smoked it. I shot a perfect shot, too.

  The next target was a cheetah down a hill. I had to lead it off and had trouble seeing it. When the shot broke, I knew I had too much yardage on it and the arrow hit just above the 10 ring at 12 o'clock. I earned that 8..........one of the first ones I earned for the day besides the first 8 of the day that I shot on the mountain lion.

  I remained focus and tried with all my might to make a comeback, never giving in, even though I now knew I had not chance of making a good showing. Over the last half of the course, we shot a few memorable shots, including a javelina, alligator and an antelope, all of which were difference makers.
  I got a solid 10 on the javelina, and I 11d the gator and the antelope. I barely missed the 11 on the last target of the day, one of the new African targets.

This shot here is the story of my day. If you cut the distance to the 10-ring in half, that's the distance that I was out of the 10-ring all day. I learned at the end of the day, that I think I just started too early and the vision problems led to the near misses early in the day. When it got bright out and I could see clearly, I basically never missed again after that.




                                                   The Damage: My Take on the Day



  Looking back on it, a lot of things led to my bad start. I let a lot of things affect me that don't normally get to me. I was not mentally ready to shoot. I'm not sure if it was because of all of the confidence I had lost when the black bow didn't come back to where it has been all spring. I have felt like I can't miss with that bow. That definitely had an effect on things. Although I've shot the bow I shot a lot, I don't have any miles on it at all since early last spring. I'm not sure what caused me to shoot two 5s way right with the right number. I won't spend any time trying to figure it out because it's in the past, and I recovered nicely the rest of the way out. I think all of the eights early on were hitting behind the pin. I think I was holding low because of the lighting. It was hard to tell where I was on the target and couldn't get the lighting right with my pin. I figured out in the second half that I needed to set it at about the number 3 position. After figuring that out, I could clearly see where it was on the animal. Having not shot in any leave cover or canopy this year, I didn't have any experience with the pin. I got that figured out by the second 20, so that mistake will not happen again.

  I shot with a really negative guy. All he talked about was how he was going to shoot 5s on certain targets and how he always misses at least one target. He also talked nonstop while I was shooting. I let this get into my subconscious mind during the first half. I'm not even sure if maybe that's why I shot the fives and they had nothing to do with my shot. On the turkey, he made a horrible shot and was talking about all of the turkeys he has fived while I was shooting. I put this behind me going into the second half and blocked it out. I got my focus back and dialed it up a notch. I'm not sure if he was even talking in the second half. I was so locked on, I don't think I would have heard him. Don't forget folks, negativity breeds negativity. Distance yourself from people who speak in that manner, but also learn how to deal with them if they end up in your group. It's like walking a tightrope without a balancing beam.

  This tournament was like a NASCAR race for me. I went a lap down on the first lap after a crash. After pulling into the pit area and getting a few dents pulled out and changing the tires, I got out there and started making progress. When I got near the end, I gained the lap back, but it just wasn't enough to make a difference. I got across the finish line near the top, even with a dented and broken car. It was the worst race I've driven in this year, and I still managed to get it back on track. I think I'd be hard pressed to shoot a score that bad again. Although those things happen from time to time, I was highly disappointed that this happened when it did.

  Anyone who knows me knows I've been crushed my way more bad luck than good luck over the years, including zeros from broken releases, arrows, serving, etc. that cost me national wins, world championships and many other podium finishes in ASA and IBO. It's been a few years since I've encounter the bad luck. Well, it found me again this year. I've been shooting better than I have in a number of years and felt like I would be able to win if I just did my thing. I gave it my best with backup equipment and fell short, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. I've never given up over the years, and I never will, even if I think I'm going to finish in dead last. I could've hung it up after the first 20 and just went through the motions, but that isn't in me. Always fight until the end. Draw from positive experiences and give it your best shot to recreate them. I'm not sure if I'll get the bow back to where it needs to be. I don't have the best of luck with changing stuff around. Hopefully, I can figure it out over the next few weeks. I did check out Jake VanHillo's Evoke 35 yesterday. I really like that bow........I like it a lot. If that bow shoots as well as the Supra Focus I shot this winter, I can see why Jake is shooting it so well. I think that bow fits my shooting style. I'd like to try one to see how it shoots at distance.

  Back to the bad luck deal. It all came to head today on my way home from my club. I was driving home with the window down. Cruising at 50 mph, something struck me squarely in the side of the head. Blood spurted all over the place and feathers were all over in the truck. I looked into the side door panel and found this.



And that folks, tells you all you need to know about my luck. The poor bird struck me in the side of the head and died. When a bird hits you in the side of the head at 50 mph, it kind of stings. This weekend is going to sting for a long time. Hopefully, I can get it behind me..........soon.

                                                    Handing Out Awards

  I have to hand out a few awards for awesome shooting this weekend. In the MSR class, Scott Tozier did not disappoint. He landed a win and earned every bit of it. Over the years, when Scott and I have shot well, we usually end up right around the score, plus or minus 5 points. With the way I have shot this year and with how I finished up, I figure I would have been somewhere around Scott if the black bow had stayed on point. Great job, Scott. That's pretty impressive shooting for a tough course.

  Jim Burdic, another central New Yorker, also brought his game to the first leg and finished in 2nd place in MSR. Great job, Jim. You had to earn every bit of that on that course. It's glad to see a couple of central New Yorkers at the top of the list. It gives me something to shoot for next year.

  Jake VanHillo..............you look awesome. Don't let a few disappointing moments ruin your outlook. You performed incredibly well. You rocked that course and just had to deal with a few, very few unfortunate mishaps. We've all been there. The good ones learn from those mistakes and use them to their advantage in the future. Don't doubt your ability........you have the ability to win at this level. Get out there and practice your yardage. You now know black targets look short to you. Add a few yards if you're ever in doubt on the longer ones. Keep working hard. It's been a pleasure to watch your progress from a distance.

  Jacob Slusarz, you are an incredible archer and person. Wherever you go or whatever you do, just stay the same. It's a pleasure to call you a friend. I enjoy watching your success. It's a pleasure to tell people that you are a friend when I hear them talking about you. It's even better when I can tell them that you're a good person . Congrats to your dad, too. Great job, John. You guys remind me of me and my dad. Keep living the dream and making memories. There's nothing like sharing this with my dad over the years. I'm sure you guys will feel the same as time goes on. It's a pleasure to watch. Great job this weekend, Jacob. I can see that you learned a lot from last year, and this will pay great dividends this year. Keep working really hard. People don't see your work, they just see the results. I understand the work........I get it.  I've always worked hard at it, and I'm not half the archer that you are. You have an open invite to come up with your dad to shoot our range. I'll change it as often as you want it changed. Feel free to come whenever you want to. Dad is there all day during the summer and I"m usually there after 3 p.m. every day.

                                                     S3DA in the Northeast

  As a member of the New York Outdoor Writers Association, I receive daily updates from the Outdoor Wire. Last week I saw that Bob Gattorna is in charge of the S3DA in the Northeast. When I was at the IBO national this weekend, I saw the the biggest classes are the senior classes. We need to get youth involved in archery. This will be a big challenge to get the youth involved. It's all of our jobs to help with this. It introduces children to all types of archery and gives them an outlet. If you can find kids to get involved, then do it. They are our future. If you want tournament archery in the future, you need children involved. Aron Stevenson and his wife, April, have been doing a tremendous job with this. Congratulations to Bob on his new endeavor. I hope to see many more children involved in the coming years.

                                                    My Final Thoughts on the Weekend

  I was raging on my way home. I got home at 3 a.m, and got up at 8 to got shoot a local 3D event. It's not often when we think we are at our best and the big events are coming. I thought I was at my best in the month leadings up to this event. I knew I could win and that is everything. I blew all my tires and crashed in the ditch, but I'll be back.................if I can get the bow where I need it to be or maybe if I get one of those Evoke 35s in my hand to try. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the summer.





                       









No comments:

Post a Comment