Sunday, April 28, 2019

Two IBO State Championships in a Weekend




  This was a rough week to get any practice in since so many things were going on at once. Softball leagues started this week, and the rain and wind didn't want to let up to get any decent practice in. I did practice my numbers three times during the week, and the results of my practice seemed to be good but not great. I figured I could keep most of my arrows around the 10-ring for the weekend. It's hard to shoot well in IBO shoots if you don't practice your numbers, so I aways try to find time to practice numbers. I envy the people who don't have to practice yardage. Sometimes I feel like I have to work way too hard to be somewhat competitive. That's why I keep this journal updated for all of you. I know that all of you work hard, too, so I just try to share my journey with you.

                                      Time To Grow Up for a Handful of Adults

  I was highly disappointed with the turnout at the NY shoot. Unfortunately, the date was voted upon for the shoot last July and the agreed-upon stipulations were not followed. We voted to have the tournament be the first of all state tournaments, including the New England shoots, figuring we would get a great turnout for it since it was located within a reasonable driving distance for most New Englanders, too. When I saw the "tentative" schedules being handed out at the IBO World, it didn't take long for me to notice that two New England shoots had been scheduled in April and the NY one was tentatively listed for Memorial Day, a weekend that was never discussed. I feel it's incredibly sad that whatever happened after leaving that meeting happened. I guess I'd say that's why I'm probably the most disappointed with the turnout, which in fact probably had nothing to do with the shooters but had everything to do with whatever happened behind the scenes, disregarding the discussions that went on.

  Since I don't get overly involved in all of the political BS that goes on, I'm not sure what went on with everything that led to where it is now, but I have noticed that many of my IBO colleagues and some former colleagues have given me the cold shoulder over the last few months, dating back to early winter. I haven't been able to figure that out until having a conversation with someone about it this morning. That's when everything clicked. I quickly realized that the old saying, "Don't assume, it makes an ass out of you and me," fits perfectly.

  Some people took it upon themselves to assume things about me without ever asking me. I deal with passive aggressive people on a daily basis. Let's be real folks, it's time to grow up. We are not in grade school or elementary school anymore. Most people know that I'm very straight forward and in your face. I don't hide how I feel or what I think. If I'm responsible for things I take action and own it. I do not beat around the bush about things. Some people like me for that, and some people dislike me for that, but I am what I am. Instead of being passive aggressive, why don't some of you come to the source and find out for yourselves where I stand or if I was even involved with whatever has gone on  or is going on. I'll gladly share my thoughts with you and give you any insight you might be missing that you "think" you know. I could also care less if anyone wants to talk to me. I'm personable and have always gone out of my way to support archery and help others along the way. I do know I have a very large following. I can see the numbers every week. They come up on the stat sheets. I'm not sure where the average of 2,000 readers a week come from, but I know they're here, and I know they see things, email me, and voice their own opinions to me. I'm thinking it's probably because I listen without speaking. I've always tried to to the best by the people and speak for all archers as a whole. Feel free to email me or give me a call. You all have my number and email address. Ok, now that that's out there let's move on to the two great shoots I attended this weekend.

                                                Rhode Island IBO State Championship

  I decided to shoot in Rhode Island on Saturday because the New York shoot was much closer to my house. I figured I would get the traveling out of the way on Saturday. The ride out turned into an adventure when Doug Vaughn got a pop-up alert on his phone that the exit ramp where we needed to get off was closed due to an accident. We quickly made our own detour and arrived at the shoot around 8:45 a.m.

  There were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but not many people were warming up at the target butts. Since they had 3D targets at the butts, I decided to shoot them. I shot at 25, 35, 45 and 50 yards. I shot multiple arrows at all distances and only missed one 11. Although it was marked yardage, I knew I was going to have a decent day. I was holding good and executing well enough to stay in the 11s if I got the right numbers. I couldn't wait to get out on the course.

  My dad and Doug got sent out with another guy, and I had to wait a few minutes for my assignment. I got paired up with Jacob Slusarz, his dad, and Billy "Bob" Hyer, whom I had never shot with. Knowing Bill and having shared a few dinners with him along the way, I looked forward to shooting with him. I knew we would have a good day.

  When we headed to the first target, I was concerned with the wind. It was howling like some of the winds I've seen blowing tumbleweed across the Kansas prairie when I've hunted there a number of times. I just wanted to hold my own and try my best to keep the arrows in the 10-ring. I figured I would have my hands full. I also looked forward to shooting with John and Jacob. I hadn't shot with John in a year or so, and it's always a pleasure to shoot with Jacob to see if I can learn something. Never forget that young people sometimes have more knowledge than people who have been shooting for years. It's an opportunity for us older people to take advantage of what the younger ones can teach us. Always pay attention to the people around you when you're shooting.

  The first target was a Big 10 buck, the same target that I started on in Massachusetts a few weeks ago, and it was about the same yardage. Before I set my sight, something in my gut told me I wasn't giving it enough. I settled in and broke a great shot. The arrow landed in exactly the same place as the one I shot in Massachusetts, hitting just barely under the 10-ring but clearly out of it. Once again, I was going to have to dig out of a hole right from the get go.

  When I walked to the second target, I had a feeling the wheels could quickly fall off the bus. With the wind howling and having already lost two points on the previous target, I wanted to hold on and get back on my feet. I executed a good shot and felt good about moving forward.

  As the day progressed, my shots broke cleanly and I remained tension free. I have noticed the last few weeks that I have some issues breaking a shot when I'm a little unsure of my number. Although it doesn't seem to be any great problem, I will need to work on that a little bit and clean it up from week to week. I've made steady progress with it and expect to keep moving in the right direction with it. I also noticed that many good shooters have the same type of issue when they're unsure of the yardage.

  This course was one that required me to use all of the marks on my sight. Some people might have considered it a soft course, but I never consider any course soft. They are all hard in their own way. Some people think that long courses are really difficult. I find every course to be about the same due to a variety of things you see on all types of courses.

  This was a course that gave me many more highs than lows. When thinking about it, I can vividly remember a few awesome shots. There was a really steep downhill ram near the end, and I executed one of the best shots I've executed all year. The pin sat in the middle and I made a perfect shot. I can't remember if I got an 11 or if it landed a hair to the left of it. Either way, it didn't matter because that shot stuck with me. In the future, when I see a steep downhill shot like that ram, I will draw from the confidence I gained from that one shot. I'll see it and feel it for a long time to come. Make sure you always draw something from the really good ones. Let the less-than par ones go and build off from the good ones. Whenever I asked people how they're doing, they always talk about their bad ones. I try to let those go and move on to the next target. I take great pride in the fact that I almost always back up a bad one with a good one. I very rarely let things snowball out of control after something bad happens. I'll fight until the end.

  When the day ended, I was satisfied with my performance. I had a winning performance and felt good about the day. Some days you're the winner, and some days you're the wiener. I was a winner inside my mind on my ride home -- and even as I sit here writing this tonight. You don't always win after a winning performance, but you win inside your own mind. If you build your mental strength through things like this, you will come out on top more often than not.

  I had a great time in Rhode Island with great guys. Whenever I shoot with John, he always shoots well. I felt that I had shot well, but after adding the cards up at the end of the day, I thought that maybe I hadn't performed as well as I had thought. I finished in 3rd place in my group of four. I gotta say that the others just beat me. I gave it my best, but John an and Jacob just did what they do. I had to remind myself that I still shot well.

  Jacob and I have good memories for targets we have shot in the past. As we wandered through this course we realized that only three targets from last year's event had been moved. Although we couldn't remember numbers, we remembered the targets. After asking some people about it who are familiar with the course, they said that nothing ever moves on that course. Everything stays the same and remains that way all year, with targets outside and in the sam exact spot. That's a little disappointing, especially when a lot of guys drive great distances to test their skills against others. It's hard for many guys in many classes to know how they really panned out against everyone because they don't know who shoots there regularly and who doesn't. It was really good for me to judge yardage and test my skills. Some of my friends from out that way didn't shoot because it's always the same. I missed seeing them there and hoped for more. Here are a few pictures from my day.








                                                    NY IBO State Championship

  Well, I woke up to a nice, sunny morning. On my ride to the tournament, the skies turned gray, and it started to drizzle. The thermometer didn't move much off from 35 degrees for my entire drive. It surely doesn't seem like it's almost May.

  After getting there and catching up with some people I haven't seen in a long time, I headed to the target butt to shoot a few arrows before heading onto the range. I fired a handful of arrows and waited for my assignment.

  When I received the cards, I knew I was going to have to hang with the big dogs, the biggest baddest dogs of New York and New England. A senior pro national IBO winner, a semi-pro national triple crown winner and a semi-pro IBO World Champion, with two of the shooters having been in the professional NFAA indoor national finals shootoff in the past. The talent we have spread across New England and New York is nothing short of amazing. So my group comprised Jacob Slusarz, John Vozzy, Sean Roberts and me.

  We started on a long bedded doe. I was battling low blood sugar on my way to my first target. Although I slugged down some Gatorade, I could still feel the affects of my blood sugar level. After settling into my aiming process, the pin wavered and wandered before the shot broke. I knew it wasn't going to be good when the arrow started its journey. The arrow landed just a tad to the left of the 10-ring, no more than an inch outside. I have to take the blame for it because my body wasn't prepared to start.

  I battled the issue for the first few targets, shooting three 8s in the first seven. I figured it was going to be a long day after starting that way. I continued battling and tried to stay above water. I felt a little better when I made a perfect shot on a razorback boar. I hit full draw, started to pull, and the arrow appeared directly behind the pin. I couldn't have been closer to the center of the 11 if I had walked up and placed the arrow in it. My confidence grew from there, and I trusted my shot and my ability.

  Throughout the first half of the shoot, I found my mind wandering. I was being easily distracted and had a hard time brushing it off. Sometimes, it felt like a pesky fly buzzing around my head. I swatted at it but couldn't ever get it to stop landing in my hair and buzzing around the back of my head. The monkeys kept jumping off the branches and slapping my ears. They tried with all of their power to get inside my head and start a party. I focused and swatted them back onto the limbs of the trees. My focus returned and remained for the rest of the day. It was a true battle to to send the monkeys on their way. Jacob has a tremendous ability to let the monkey sit in the trees above. Sean and I sometimes let them sit on our shoulders and poke us in the neck with prickly pine needles. John always seems to be in total control. He's calm under pressure, and he just goes through the motions.

  Speaking of Vozzy, it was a pleasure to watch him shoot today. This guy ceases to amaze me. His progress has been steady since his shoulder replacement. This guy has worked so hard to be able to shoot his bow again. Once again, one of those guys whom you never see working at it. He goes above and beyond what most others can comprehend. He's the ultimate competitor and does everything he can so he doesn't ever beat himself. I enjoy watching him in action. A lot can be learned from a seasoned veteran. When I shoot with him, it reminds me a lot of when I used to shoot with another great from my area, Jeff Alderman. Neither one of them ever gets too high or too low. They just focus on every shot and keep things in perspective. I'll be routing for Vozzy when he heads to the IBO Triple Crown next month. I'd love to see him get it done. He definitely works hard at it.

  When I got to the second half of the tournament, I felt good about my shooting. I started off on hogzilla, and the arrow hit directly behind the pin. Unfortunately, it was less than an inch to the left of the 11. You can't be disappointed when you hit behind the pin. I guess I need to pay more attention to where I'm aiming.

  I was nervous when I got to the next target, which was a javelina. I couldn't get a number to stick in my head when I kept looking at it, I got a variety of numbers that varied by six yards. Finally, I dialed it in and settled nicely onto the white spot in the 11-ring. I felt the pressure build in my back, and it felt like somebody cut the string from my hand. The arrow instantly appeared in the 11-ring. What a shot! It was one of those shots that people dream about. Everything was done perfectly. These shots continued the rest of the day, and I cleaned the second half with 10s and 11s. I executed every shot like I was shooting a Vegas target at 10 yards. My focus and concentration went to another level during the last 15 targets.

  When I finally got to the last target, a gobbling turkey, the number stuck out to me. I dialed my sight in and looked at Sean's arrow and Jacob's arrow. They were both in the 10-ring, so I buried my pin between their arrows and did my thing. My arrow it right next to Jacob's arrow, and that was the end of my day.



  My hat goes off to Rhit Wilcox. This guy is a worker. He does everything he can to provide people with a great experience. He went above and beyond to make sure Guan Ho Ha put on a fantastic tournament. He surpassed my expectations. If you see Rhit out there on the tournament trail make sure to thank him for his dedication to archery in our region. He supports everyone, and he offers us with a lot of opportunities to shoot at the club where he is the archery director.

                                                  My Take on the Weekend

  I did a lot of traveling this weekend to shoot 60 targets. I've been trying to determine if I want to go to the first leg of the national triple crown. I'm still somewhat undecided. I know I'm shooting well enough to go give it a whirl, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to waste money and travel. I've done it for many years. I enjoy the competition, and I also enjoy seeing all of my friends from all over the country. I have some bow work to do the next few weeks before I make a decision. I'm enjoying the new camp we have, so I might just go spend some time there. This will also be my last year in the IBO before going into MSR.

  The last three events I've attended, I've had winning performances. If you give yourself a chance by shooting solid shots and not worrying about the outcome, things seem to be a lot easier. I've been able to shoot without any tension so far this spring. It's an incredible feeling as compared to the last few years. I can't even begin to explain what a difference it makes when I'm at full draw. Of the 90 arrows I've shot at the last three arrows, I've only shot three arrows more than an inch or two to the left or right of center. This is solely from the lack of tension in the release hand, a battle I've fought for about 15 years. Many wealthy people in the world never would have gotten rich if they didn't take chances..........risk versus reward. I took a chance near the end of indoor season, and it seem to be working out in my favor.

  If you could have given Jacob and I an inch on a ruler this weekend, we both would have shot a lot more 11s, and I would have avoided five of my six 8s. Every 8 I shot, except one, was less than an inch out the bottom of the 10. Jacob stayed out of the 8-ring all weekend. I think he ended up in it twice, but once was because he blew Vozzy's pin nock apart and glanced into the 8. That's just some bad luck.

  A lot of people shot really well this weekend. That Senior Hunter class is one of the most competitive classes out there. I'm not sure who won in Rhode Island, but after watching John Layou shoot, I'm fairly certain he won. If he didn't win, someone else must have put on one hell of a shooting display. He was pounding all day long, and it was awesome to watch. George Connors is always one of the guys to beat, too, and he laid it down today at the NY shoot. Although I didn't shoot with him, I'd say his day was probably similar to John's day on Saturday. Those guys got it going. I can't leave out Gary Jones. Yet another one of Mark Myer's students who is getting it done. He's always in the hunt now. He has been putting his time in and the results are finally starting to show up. It's always nice to see people improve with Mark's help. Great job, Mark. Vozzy is looking great, and Jacob is applying many things you have taught him. You have made the archers in our area much better, and it is helping all of us.

  I finally broke the ice while shooting with Sean Roberts. I've never shot a good round when I've been paired with him. Today, I broke that mold and headed in the right direction. I shot with two phenomenal groups this weekend, and everyone in both groups shot well. That always makes it easier to shoot well.

  I'm signing out for the night. I hope everyone had fun this weekend. Work hard in silence and let your arrows speak for you. Oh, and keep drinking the poison and sharing it with your army, homemade whiskey burns like hell going down and can easily kill you if you assume you know how to make it and drink it. ;-)--------------------------->

 

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank you for this read. I gave me some insight on some reflecting I need to do on my ownself Todd.

    ReplyDelete